Skip to main content

Thoughts on food allergies...



This post may spark criticism on all fronts but I've had some thoughts stewing for the past couple of weeks and, for better or worse, I'm ready to share them. These are my opinions on what is always a heated topic, so if you don't agree, that's your prerogative but be respectful about it.

I got a phone call the week before Valentine's Day from the health aide at my kids' school. My son's teacher had asked her to call me because a parent of one of his classmates wanted to bring in a prepackaged treat for Valentine's Day that contained nuts, and the teacher wanted to know if that would be okay with me or if it would pose a danger to my son. She said the treats would be passed out in class but that the kids would not be allowed to eat them in the classroom.

I was without words. Honestly, I just didn't know how to react at all. Would it be dangerous for him to have prepackaged, nut-containing treats passed out in his classroom? No. His allergy is not so extreme that he can't be in the presence of something prepackaged that contains nuts. Would it be okay with me? I don't even know what to say to that.

My son is 10 years old and was diagnosed about a month before his 4th birthday. I ate peanuts and peanut products during my pregnancy and the entire 13 months that I breastfed him, as I have done with our other 4 kids (even Raya, just not for as long as the others). He started eating peanut butter at the same age as his sisters that are not allergic to any foods. He used to eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for lunch every day and waffles with peanut butter on them for breakfast a few times a week. Somewhere between 18 months and 2 years, we noticed that he vomited after eating crunchy peanut butter but not creamy. We had no experience whatsoever with food allergies, as neither my husband or I have any and none of our parents or siblings do either. We assumed it was a toddler thing and that he just had a texture issue with the crunchy peanut butter. Even our pediatrician didn't think it sounded like an allergy and that it was probably a texture issue. Since she didn't think it was an allergy, we didn't pursue allergy testing until about a year later when he had a clear and obvious allergic reaction to cashews.

About 6 weeks after his cashew reaction, we got in for allergy testing and confirmed that he was allergic to peanuts, all of the tree nuts, oats (which he had also been eating since before his first birthday) and a couple of environmental allergens. We eliminated peanuts and tree nuts from his diet the day he reacted to cashew butter and have not looked back. However, on the advice of his allergist, we have not completely removed peanut and tree nut products from our home. His allergies are not so severe that he is triggered by airborne particles or trace residue. We have kept him safe but have also been conscious of not creating a bubble for him. As he has gotten older and more able to comprehend his allergies, we have worked to empower him in taking responsibility for his own safety as much as possible. As soon as he was diagnosed, we taught him to never accept food from anyone but his parents without asking if it had nuts in it first. We taught him the names of the tree nuts and showed him how to look at the ingredient list on food packaging to see if the item contained nuts. We taught him how to use an EpiPen and taught him to be aware of what his allergic reaction symptoms felt like so he would know when to take Benadryl and when to use an EpiPen.

We also taught our other kids to help keep him safe. We have rules in our house about where in the kitchen peanut butter can be used. We have a rule that if they're making a PB & J sandwich, they have to get the jam first, and they can't dip a knife into the jam jar after it has touched peanut butter. He is not allowed to touch any dirty dishes with peanut butter on them, nor is he allowed to make anyone else's PB & J sandwich for them. If peanut butter gets on anything, they have to clean it up immediately. We have had family night lessons about when and how to use EpiPens so that everyone in our family understands how to keep the children with allergies safe and what to do if there is ever an emergency. What we do in our house works for us and has kept him (and Raya) from having any allergic reactions since they were first diagnosed. Sending him to school is another story.

I cannot control what happens at school. I have never asked his school to become nut-free, nor would I push for a nut-free school. I have kids without food allergies who like PB & J sandwiches for lunch too. I have one child who struggles with bouts of low appetite and picky eating, and since weight gain (or lack thereof) has always been a struggle, she eats what she feels like eating and getting her to eat a decent lunch would be hard for us if the school banned peanut butter. I was more nervous when he was younger, and less able to recognize that a food could contain his allergens. Having his classroom be a peanut-free and tree nut-free classroom helped me be comfortable with sending him to school because I knew that nobody would be sending in something that, could potentially kill my child. We have always packed lunches from home for the kids because it costs less and they get food that I know they will eat. Since he takes lunch from home, I have not stressed about him accidentally getting something from the cafeteria that contained nuts. His school offers a nut-free table and allows kids to have friends sit with them at that table as long as they have a nut-free lunch, but we have opted not to do that because at home, we all eat at the same table.

With all of that in my head, it was hard to even know what to say to the question of whether it would be dangerous to him to have prepackaged treats with nuts in them handed out in his classroom and whether it was okay with me. The answers to those questions conflicted each other. No, it would not be dangerous to him unless he ate them, but no, I am not okay with it. It really rubbed me the wrong way that someone wanted to bring in treats with nuts to a classroom that they know is nut-free.

Why am I not okay with it? I don't know. I had quite the internal dialogue with myself over it before I could formulate a good response for the school health aide. We eat treats with nut products in them at home, so why is it different in the classroom? Because when we do at home, we provide him an alternative that he likes just as much as the rest of us like the nut-containing treats. We don't leave him out. Yeah but there will be other treats in his classroom on Valentine's Day so it's not like he won't get anything at all. True. And life isn't fair. Sometimes one kid gets something that the rest don't, and vice-versa. But this still felt different to me.

What it finally came down to was this, which was my response to the health aide:
As long as he doesn't eat the treats, they won't make him sick, so I guess technically it's okay if the parent sends them into the classroom, but I would rather they didn't. Let his teacher know that she can ask the parent if it is so important to them to bring in that particular treat that it is worth intentionally singling out and excluding the only child in the class that could potentially die from eating it. If the answer is yes, then they can go ahead and send them.

Was that a dramatic answer? Perhaps, but it was also a completely accurate statement. I don't know if that message was relayed to the other parents, but no nut-containing treats were brought into the class for the Valentine's Day party. 

 Food allergies are such a hot button topic these days. From the perspective of someone who parented for 5 years with no food allergies to worry about before being faced with life-threatening food allergies, I can say that it is very difficult to fully comprehend what life with food allergies is like until you have experienced it. As such, it is difficult to understand why parents of children with food allergies get upset about things like this situation we encountered. It is also very difficult to explain it.


What's the harm in bringing in something prepackaged that won't make the kid sick as long as he doesn't eat it? Instead of thinking about it in terms of food, think about it in these terms:
  • excluding a child based on something that is not his fault and is completely beyond his control
  • singling the child out and highlighting in front of all of his classmates that he has something different about him
  • showing a classroom full of children that it's okay to exclude someone whose medical condition makes them different when it inconveniences you (if you want to call this situation an inconvenience)
  • showing the excluded child that his safety and health is of less value than his classmates' ability to eat something that could kill him
  • teaching the other children that their wants are more important than their classmate's safety
  • giving other kids something to make fun of him about (food allergy bullying is becoming more common, and it is terrifying)
With severe food allergies, like my children's potentially fatal nut allergies, the reasoning is clear. One bite could kill them. Imagine your child walking across a street without looking both ways first. They might make it across safely, but they might also die with the first step away from the curb. Non life-threatening food allergies and other similar conditions can still make life miserable for the person. Maybe the food wouldn't cause a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction, but it could cause severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. Would that be any less awful of a thing to do to a child? Can you imagine being in your elementary school classroom and having a sudden onset of uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea? That would be humiliating! Other chronic food-related conditions such as celiac disease and eosinophilic disorders cause reactions that are slower in their onset than acute food allergy reactions but are also longer-lasting. They can cause long-lasting damage to the organs they affect, as well as widespread effects on the child's overall health. Beyond the physical ramifications, there can also be psychological consequences for children who have had severe allergic reactions to food. Do what you want in the school cafeteria, but leave food out of the classroom for the sake of the children whose lives could be permanently (or even temporarily) altered because of it.

One of the common arguments by parents whose children do not have food allergies is that their children have the right to bring treats to class to celebrate their birthdays. To those parents, I ask this question. Does your child want to celebrate his or her birthday in a way that makes his or her friends with food allergies sad because they can't have the treats they brought? Would your child want any of his or her friends to get sick because of the treats they brought? Is that really how your child wants to celebrate, or would he or she rather bring something in that ALL of his or her classmates can enjoy? 

The day I got the phone call from the health aide, I had a talk with my son about it after school. I explained the situation to him and I asked him, "If someone brings in a treat that everyone in your class except you can have, would that bother you or would you not care? Remember that there will be other treats that you can have." Honestly, I expected him to say that he wouldn't care. He thought about it for a minute and then surprised me by responding that in his classroom, that WOULD bother him because he would feel left out.

The issue does not have to be so all-or-nothing. As a parent of children with food allergies, I do not expect the entire world to conform to their needs, but the classroom is one place where they deserve to be safe, and they deserve to be included in everything that happens to the fullest extent possible. If that means that modifications have to be made for things like birthday celebrations and class parties, then so be it. Excluding nuts from those celebrations is a small price to pay in order to make that happen. As frustrating as it may be to be given restrictions on what can be brought into the classroom, it is an opportunity to teach your children compassion and consideration for the needs of others. In the case of potentially fatal food allergies, this need DOES come at a higher priority than any possible reason for bringing those restricted foods into the classroom.

Comments

  1. No offense taken here. As a parent of a child with non-anaphylactic issues, it has been hard. People think "no swollen lips, no trouble breathing, not even a rash, you are a hypochondriac". We have to read labels like most people read a good book over and over and over and over. We have to know our kids foods. It's not easy but it is what is best for them. If we had a child in a public school setting (we home educate), we would demand that they be kept safe, as any parent would.

    I have heard, "but my child has the right". Actually, they don't. There is no right guaranteed anywhere in our nation that you can eat a peanut at your desk in a classroom or that you can bring a cupcake into your classroom at school. There is none. The word right gets thrown around a lot and it's not being used correctly. Our "rights" in this nation are minimal. Our "privileges" are many. Now, kids with disabilities and special needs actually do have a "right" to not have certain foods present in their room, school, whatever the safety level of their need is. That's protection of a child while in care, custody, and control of the public education system. All children should be protected when they walk in those front doors. People need to quit thinking in such selfish ways and look at that sweet 8 year (9, year old, 10 year old, whatever the age of any given child) and worry about them more than bringing in a cupcake for a day. Have a party at home. Have 10 parties at home. If you want to have a party at school, you give up some freedom when a child with extra needs is in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog posts, just so you know.

    I am so very spoiled in that Harmony's school has taken it upon themselves to be a safe school. They do not serve peanut or tree nut products. I'm actually not sure if they allow cold lunches with them? But that would only be in the cafeteria. I stopped using peanuts in H's blend during the week, even though kids shouldn't ever be in contact with her blend. But what if she puked on some kid with an allergy?? They do not allow kids to bring treats from home for celebrations of any sort, no candy in Valentines, etc. For PTO events, they provide all snacks, and they are peanut/tree nut/wheat safe (examples have been plain air-popped popcorn, sorbet, or apples and bananas). They simply put student safety as their priority, the end. I wish more schools would adopt these standards, and Harmony doesn't even have any food allergies that we know of. I have no idea if that's a district-wide thing, or just the forward thinking of our school's principal.

    Anyway, I think you handled this situation fantastically, and whether or not it was the teacher or the other parents who "heard" you, the message got through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandis, here in Australia it is not unusual for schools to be 'nut free' simply because one child in the whole school has a nut allergy. Your comments are so true - something as simple as thinking about the rules for the classroom (no nuts) is easy, dealing with the ramifications of ignoring this rule can be major.

    I am a scout leader and have had to deal with dietary needs - one occasion sticks with me. We were making damper twists and I had a child that was wheat free - his turn came to collect the ingredients for his twist and he advised me he could not have it - the look on his face when I told him he could because I thought of him when purchasing the ingredients was priceless. I had made a difference in this child's life simply because I stepped out of my box and made a small change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a person with life threatening allergies (fruits, latex, and countless others) I remember what it was like growing up in school. Up until high school I could not eat any chocolate or caffeinated products because I would instantly fall asleep. While that did not "harm" me it was not good if I needed to do anything in school. I spent many years where my friends ate birthday treats that I could not have. My parents always provided snacks for me to have for a treat during parties, but it meant so much to me when I did not have to eat a different snack from my friends. I now struggle because my latex allergy has gotten really bad and I will stop breathing if I come in a room with latex balloons, however I have had to not attend functions and parties because people fully believe it is their right to have latex balloons at a party even if they know ahead of time that it could kill me. The boy scout troop my husband and brother both earned Eagle Scout in has a fundraiser each year and they insist on having balloons at it even though my allergy has been made know on multiple occasions so I can not attend the event with my family.
    I think it makes me even more conscious of how people treat Jillian with her not being able to put anything in her mouth. I was furious recently when I found out her teacher had done a graphing activity (Jillian is 2ys old) about what doughnut flavor the kids liked best. She asked Jillian what favor she wanted for the graph. While Jillian did not eat it and at this point does not get what a doughnut is, it still made me mad because she was asked what of something she would want to eat even though if she did it eat it could kill her (aspiration issues). Why even go there? While she currently does not understand it all, someday she will.
    I am a 4K teacher and have found that I am becoming more and more conscious of food in my classroom and looking at not having treats during class parties (this year we do a cooking activity as a class with healthier food so kids are not just pigging out on junk food and they are learning to cook). We do have a nut free school. No lunches/snacks are allowed to have nuts in them. It was just easier to make it a rule and parents know the rule when their kid starts at the school and really we have very few issues with kids accidentally bringing nuts in their lunch anymore. It makes it easier and takes some of the fear away from the families and the staff about the allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year, for the very first time, my child's teacher sent a note home saying that there were peanut and gluten allergies in the class and if we were sending treats for Valentine's day that they needed to be treats that all the students could enjoy. It was great. Then I picked up my celiac daughter after school the day of the party. They had pulled all the 5th graders except for her and the other celiac kid to decorate sugar cookies in the cafeteria. I was speechless. The thing that kills me is that I could have easily provided cookies and frosting for both celiac kids had I known. I also have a 2-1/2 year old tubie who, among other GI issues, has an anaphylactic allergy to wheat. No lie, I am already having nightmares about sending her to school. Older daughter had a child continually contaminate her lunch by sprinkling bread crumbs on it because "it was funny." The school did very little to intervene. It was horrible but not immediately life-threatening. This will not be true if something similar happens to younger daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …