Skip to main content

The final countdown...

We are about 9.5 hours away from the first day of school. Am I ready? Yes. Are we prepared? No. No, we are not. The big kids are 99% ready, I just have to make sure everybody eats breakfast, wears dress code-approved uniforms, and has a good lunch packed. And drop off Benadryl & Epi Pens and the corresponding paperwork in the health office for the boy. Raya is a different story though.

I can't even express how grateful I am that Raya has the same teacher & classroom aide this year and that the health aide is the same person as last year too. We have made some big changes this summer (namely switching to a GJ tube and all that comes along with that) and it would be SO much harder to explain everything to brand new people. I'm expecting a mountain of paperwork this week since we have ZERO of the health forms that we had to have filled out & signed last year. I take that back, I do have a copy of the anaphylaxis emergency plan that I planned on having the allergist sign a few weeks ago but then we rescheduled that appointment (couldn't get in until September) and didn't get it done yet. The only thing I have is the two forms that have to be on file for the Benadryl & Epi Pens. Oh, and speaking of Benadryl and Epi Pens, the bottle of Benadryl in her emergency kit expires this month and the Epi Pens I thought were good for a bit longer expired in June. I know they're still good, but I also know the school will require unexpired meds, so I'll have to switch them out ASAP.

AAAAAAAAAAND to make things even MORE awesome, remember how Raya is on heavy-duty antibiotics for the infected lump in her arm? Guess what comes along with heavy-duty antibiotics. Diarrhea. Fluorescent yellow, bile-smelling, skin-burning diarrhea. Today there were at least 4, maybe 5 poopy diapers. She normally has one every 1-2 days and it's soft but not THAT soft. It's been yucky. The first thing I repacked into her backpack was a new change of emergency clothes. Oh, because guess what I realized tonight. I never unpacked her backpack from the last day of school. It still had everything in it. The shirt was a size 3T, so if she had ever needed that for some reason, it would have looked ridiculous. Now she has emergency clothes that will fit her.

AAAAAAAND guess what else I realized. When she got her GJ tube last month, they did not have a 16fr tube in stock so they put in a 14fr. We only have 16fr G tubes, so in the unfortunate event that her GJ tube should get pulled out at school (or at home), we probably will not be able to fit any of our spare G tubes into the hole because the hole is smaller now. Awesome, right? On the bright side, she would have to have anesthesia to get the GJ replaced anyway so she wouldn't be awake to feel them dilate her stoma. (some bright side, eh?)

So we're definitely not starting off the year as smoothly as I would like to, but we didn't last year either and everything turned out fine. If we can get through tomorrow and the rest of the week, I think we'll be fine. The staff at her school has always been respectful of my main concerns for her (i.e. not feeding her anything that I haven't sent myself or approved in order to avoid accidental exposure to food allergies and not doing craft projects with stuff she's allergic to) and we have all been on the same page in the past about pretty much everything, so I think we'll be okay. (fingers crossed)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …