Skip to main content

Where has January gone??

Time flies when you're rapidly approaching your due date. I've been scrambling trying to get as many things checked off of my to-do list as possible, and it was going fine until 5 out of the 6 of us caught a cough a couple weeks ago. It's a dry, unproductive cough that wakes you up at night and doesn't respond too well to cough suppressants. I finally got desperate this week and begged my OB for SOMETHING to help me get some sleep after having a few miserable nights in a row where I was awake more than I was asleep. Hopefully we can all get rid of it before we have a new baby in the house.

Raya was starting to get over her cough but then she spiked a fever yesterday and still has it today, so either she's caught something else now or her cough is morphing into something else. It's so sad when kiddos don't feel good.

She's on about her 10th episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates so far today and hasn't moved off the couch much. You know she doesn't feel good when she just lays on the couch and her toys aren't talking to each other!

 Aside from everybody being sick, the last couple weeks have been pretty nice. We've spent a lot of evenings home snuggling on the couch and watching movies. I couldn't help but laugh when I walked in the other night and saw that Raya's animals were comfortably lounging on the couch for movie night too. :)
She is so funny! She was frowning in the picture because the flash went off when I took it and her eyes have been super sensitive to light lately. We were leaving the school earlier this week and when we walked outside she covered her eyes and said, "My brain hurts." I said, "Your brain hurts? What do you mean?" She said, "My brain hurts! When the sun is bright it makes my brain hurt!" So when we got to the car, I loaned her my sunglasses. About 2 minutes into the drive home, she said, "Um, Mommy, these glasses aren't very good." and took them off. Stinker!

She's really enjoying that she's learning how to write her name. I was making dinner a few nights ago and almost tripped over her because she was laying on the floor in the kitchen & I hadn't seen her. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "There was water on the floor so I'm writing my name." And sure enough, she was using the puddle of water to write her name with her finger on the floor.

There have been times lately when I've had my doubts about how well having to share Mommy is going to go over with her but she says she's excited to have "the baby sister". (who, by the way, she is still convinced that we will be naming Indilla. No idea where she came up with that but gotta give her credit for creativity.) We've washed a few things and Raya thinks it's cute how tiny the clothes are. She assures me that she's going to be a "super good helper girl" so hopefully she's right. The last 2 weeks have been exhausting because of the lack of sleep. I've woken up having coughing fits, woken up because of other people having coughing fits, woken up to go to the bathroom about half a dozen times per night (par for the course at this stage of pregnancy), woken up because the feeding pump was beeping, and woken up because the child attached to the feeding pump was crying about being attached to the feeding pump that was attached to the outlet. It's hard to imagine throwing a newborn into the mix but we'll manage. People like to say that having interrupted sleep at the end of a pregnancy is just to prepare you for having a newborn, and I kind of want to punch them in the throat. It does NOTHING to prepare you except rob you of what little sleep you could be getting BEFORE the newborn comes! Hopefully things will settle down again and everybody will get over the crud and get back on normal schedules. I want my happy, smiley girl back!

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …