Skip to main content

Milestones of the fine motor variety

I've whined a lot lately about various things but I promise, that's not all I do. :) Raya is really turning into a big kid these days and she's hit some pretty exciting milestones in the past week.

She's been going to preschool for 1 year and 2 months now. This year, the kids start out every single morning by writing their name on a laminated card with a dry erase crayon. At the beginning of the year, the kids all started out with cards that had each of their names in large letters. The point was for the kids to come in and find their name and then trace the letters. Once they had mastered tracing the letters in their names, (as well as a 3-4 year old can master that) they moved on to a card that had their name in small letters with space below for them to write the letters on their own. When they had that down, they moved on to a blank card. For probably 2 months or more, there have only been a couple of kids that were still using the cards with their names in small letters. All the rest had moved on to blank cards. As of Friday, Raya and one other boy were the only ones not using blank cards yet. I usually don't hang around while Raya writes her name but Friday I had to syringe bolus a little bit of formula so she could have a backpack-free school day and be hungry in time for feeding therapy, so by the time I was done, she had finished writing her name. I was impressed!
Pretty good, huh? (pardon the squinty eyes, she was having a really sensitive eye day for some reason) She was very proud of herself and I was very proud of her. :) She has her own rather unique way of forming the letters. I hope that letting her do it her own way right now isn't counterproductive in the future when she needs to learn how to form them correctly but for now, girlfriend can write her own name and that's pretty awesome. As of today, she is now using a blank card to write her name. :)


The other exciting milestone happened at OT on Friday afternoon. I had to leave as soon as OT started to go to a GI appointment with a friend for moral support. I left Raya with her OT and Donny came to get her. While I was gone, Raya must have gotten frustrated with wanting her sweatshirt zipped and not being able to get it zipped herself. I've shown her before how to do it but sometimes it just takes a few reminders before it clicks, and whatever her OT said or did was what happened to make it click. When I got home, she showed me that she can now zip her jacket by herself {sort of}. I did have to help a teensy bit with getting the little bar thing all the way into the zipper pull but she got it almost all the way in by herself and zipped the zipper all the way to the top by herself.
Hooray for fine motor skills! :) Now if we can just master sleeping through the night...  I have a feeling that Raya and baby sister and I will be having some fun parties in the middle of the night in about 5 more weeks. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …