Skip to main content

The biggest meal of her life

Raya has had a good eating day today. I don't know what exactly has brought it on, but I hope it's her periactin (because who wants to be giving a kid medicine that's not doing anything for them). Since the first 3 weeks of it were pretty rough, I decided to do it at night this week. I gave it to her after she had been asleep for a couple hours last night to reduce the risk of her being awake all night (which has happened before with periactin) and she slept great. All of the kids actually slept until just after 7 this morning, which is unheard of, and they almost missed the bus. 

Since we were running so behind this morning and Raya was kind of in her own little world (another gift from periactin), and because I wanted to push the oral eating today, I didn't plug her into the pump first thing this morning like I usually do before preschool. (She's going to preschool at a friend's house on Tuesdays now.) Instead, I gave her a 2 ounce syringe bolus, which we pushed in slowly but she still said it made her stomach hurt. When I was confident that she wasn't going to throw up, we headed to preschool. She was going to take one of her muffins that I made her on Sunday but I opened the baggie this morning and found out that they already had a moldy smell to them. She decided to take her cupcakes instead and took enough to share with her friends at school. She was pretty excited about that.

After preschool I made us some potato chip-crusted tilapia like the allergist had suggested. I ate all but the 2 bites I was able to coerce her to eat. She wasn't game for it today but I might take some to feeding therapy on Friday. She did, however, down a good amount of potato chips for lunch and then topped off her tank with formula (from the pump, she didn't drink it). 

Raya cracks me up. I don't know if it was the periactin talking or if it was just her being her but for some reason, food was on her mind today. She saw a mesh bag with 3 orange bell peppers in it on the counter today and told me she really REALLY wanted to eat one. She said they were really pretty and that she LIKES them. I told her I would cut her a piece and she said that was okay as long as it was a BIG piece. I really didn't expect her to even take a bite but she did.
She sat with it in her mouth for a while and couldn't decide what to do with it. She had bitten almost all skin, which she sometimes has a hard time with, and the taste was probably not what she was expecting. 5 minutes later, she was still sitting with the bite in her mouth and still not sure what to do with it.
"Um, Mommy, I changed my mind. I don't really want to eat the bell pepper. Could I have some chips and jam?"

I was late getting dinner started tonight and decided to do breakfast for dinner. It wasn't as quick & easy as it sounds. We were out of pancake mix so I had to make them from scratch (and now we know not to use the Better Homes & Gardens pancake recipe...). I decided that since Raya can have pork and eggs, we would do bacon & eggs and I made her some coconut flour pancakes. Not gonna lie, I was pretty excited while I was cooking dinner tonight. I turned off her pump early so that she'd have room for at least a little bit of dinner. 

Can I just say how exciting it was for me to fix her a plate that had a version of the same food that everybody else was eating?! Who knew that the simple act of putting food on a plate could make a mom so happy. Most of the pancakes were pretty ugly but boy did they taste good. I made a whole batch and ate some of the regular pancakes and some of the coconut ones, and I preferred the coconut ones. (again, BH&G's pancake recipe is lousy...) In case anyone is looking for a good coconut pancake recipe, here's a good one: http://divaliciousrecipesinthecity.com/2011/08/15/coconut-flour-pancakes-2nd-version/

It does use eggs so if you can't do egg, you could use a substitute like maybe flax+water. I'm actually trying to get more egg into her so that we can see if she's reacting to it or not so this recipe worked for me. :) Next time I will also either do a little bit more sweetener or a little less salt, or both. I don't know if it's all coconut flour or just the kind I got but it has a natural salty flavor to it.

What surprised me was that Raya was probably just as excited as I was about her plate full of food that was just like everybody else's.
I expected her to take a few bites and pick at everything but she blew me away with how much she ate. In the picture, there is one whole pancake on her plate. She ate that plus another half of a pancake. She also ate 2 1/2 pieces of bacon the same size as the one in the picture, a couple bites of egg, and drank about an ounce of coconut milk. (ok, well technically she ate 3 pieces of bacon but one of them was the end with more fat on it and she ended up gagging & had to spit out half of it) I couldn't believe how much she was eating and it took a lot of restraint not to tell her to stop. I did ask her a few times if her stomach was full and if her stomach hurt. She kept telling me she wasn't full and her stomach felt good so hopefully she was right. 

She really liked the pancakes but her favorite was the bacon. I cooked it so that it didn't have any chewy parts left since she has a much easier time with crunchy stuff. She even stole the piece I had saved for Donny.
The 2 near-vomiting incidents we had were both from bacon but she didn't care and kept right on eating it. It's a good thing she's used to me taking pictures of her while she eats. Poor kid thinks that's normal parental behavior. I just can't help it sometimes though!

Her "nigh-night medicine" took a little extra time to kick in tonight. I imagine it was because her stomach was full of food and it took longer to absorb. I'm excited and optimistic about tonight's meal but I'm not stupid. I put her to bed with a puke bag and put a towel on the floor next to her bed just in case dinner comes back to haunt us later. (in case the tarp that's under/around her bed isn't enough protection) I also texted that first picture to her feeding therapist who was also very excited. I think it's the first time I've texted her about food. If I had her GI doctor's cell number I'd text it to her too. :)


Do you like her cape? My very clever sister gave her that scarf for Christmas last year, along with some other fun things. She loves it because it has a smooth texture and it's always cold. Sometimes she calls it a blanket but this week, it's a cape. She's insisted on wearing it all day every day, usually on top of her backpack. I even let her wear it to preschool today. It makes me a little nervous having it around her neck so I tie it as loosely as I can and still have it stay on. The weather has been gorgeous this week so she's been playing outside a lot. Thanks to her cape, she's doing it in style.
She is full of mischief, that girl. I sure do love her!




Comments

  1. Love this! It's funny how much we appreciate our kids eating when it's so normal for so many other parent's. Hopefully it's the medication doing it's job! Good work, Raya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...I love the cape, I love everything positive in this victory. It makes my day, really <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …