Skip to main content

Beans and adenoids.

Raya has another new food! She got to try some black beans yesterday. She was very happy once again to eat something we were eating.
She only ate about 7 or 8 beans so it's hard to say whether or not they'll agree with her yet but she likes them. I didn't want to be a negative Nellie so I didn't say anything earlier this week but the night Raya ate the corn spaghetti with ped corn, tortilla chips, and grapes for dinner, she had a yucky night. She woke up in the middle of the night because of belly pain. For about 30-40 minutes, she would sleep for a few minutes and then cry and writhe around on the floor for a few minutes before going back to sleep. She wouldn't answer me when I talked to her and didn't want me near her so there wasn't a whole lot I could do for her. She finally went back to sleep after she...ummm...relieved some pressure. We inadvertently forgot her sleep medicine that night so she only got about 6 hours of sleep that night. She should have been exhausted on Sunday but she was awake alllllll day. She didn't even sleep during the hour long car ride to grandma & grandpa's. Thankfully she slept well that night. She's been doing a lot better with sleeping in her bed.


 Today, I found myself sitting in a doctor's office and Raya was not with me. It was strange. :)


 Her big brother needed to see the ENT. His allergist sent him for an xray last month to see if his adenoids were enlarged because odd the symptoms he still has. I'm no expert, but even I could tell that they were big.



The adenoids are the round ball-ish thing right behind and slightly above his back teeth (facing forward). They're big. A medical assistant from the allergist's office called me back and said the radiologist's report said he had enlarged tonsils and adenoids and needed to see the ENT. I was a little stressed heating about the tonsils because I've heard how miserable tonsillectomies are. Today we picked up the films & report and went to the appointment. I read the radiologist's report and my jaw dropped a little. First, I saw that it said his tonsils were normal so I said ”I told you so” in my had to the MA at the allergist's office. Then I saw that it said ”grade IV adenoidal hypertrophy”. I wanted to know what grade IV meant so I googled it. Turns out it means that his nasal passages are at least 75% occluded. No wonder the boy can't breathe through his nose! I came across this paragraph in my anatomy book while I was studying for my final exam. It pretty much sums things up.
Hmmm...let's see. He snores, breathes through his mouth, wakes up at night to get drinks of water, wakes up really early every morning, gets headaches (which the ENT said can be caused by enlarged adenoids), has some small but lingering speech quirks, and doesn't sleep well.

The doctor said we could try a different steroidal nasal spray and see if that helps but I told him we've been doing that off & on since he was 3 (he's 8 1/2) and I'd rather just take them out than keep using steroids. The doctor did an awesome job explaining things to him and asked if he had any questions. He said, ” When you take out the adenoids, will they be all...bloody?” He's such a boy! The doctor told him they won't be bloody and that they look like walnuts, so now I'll think of adenoids whenever I see walnuts. Awesome. :) I'm not sure if Cole even knows what a walnut looks like. He's allergic to them so he's never had one. :) This will be an adventure but hopefully it won't be bad since he's not getting his tonsils out.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …