Skip to main content

Shtuff Raya says...

Ever heard the term "speech explosion" tossed around? We have most definitely experienced one of those in the past couple of months. We thought she was talking a lot and speaking really well and then all of a sudden, her articulation got a lot better and she has even more to talk about. Nonstop. All day long. We have officially entered the stage where I sometimes cringe when she talks in public because I don't know what's going to come out. It's okay with me though because even if she said something embarrassing, it would be worth the entertainment factor. I love the way her voice sounds and the way words sound when she says them (most of the time) and I love the stage she's at. She's come out with some real gems lately but I can never remember all of them when I want to.

I think I already shared this one but a few days ago, she and I were laying on the couch and Kaida was in her room having a moment of 5 year old drama. Raya sighed deeply and said, "Kaida is acting like a child." When I asked her where she got that, she said she heard it at preschool. That made me laugh too because preschool is a room full of children, so I doubt they would be saying that there. Kaida told me later that Raya heard it on the movie Brave.

The girls took a bath after we picked Raya up from school today and when I was getting Raya dried off, she was chattering about something. I can't remember what she was talking about now but she said, "...but it's not lame. And it's not hilarious. It's just perfect." A big part of what makes her so funny is the facial expressions and hand gestures that go with the things she's saying. She puts her hands up in the air a lot when she's talking. Lately, anytime one of the big kids gets upset with her about something, she puts one hand out and says, "Do you even LIKE me anymore?!"

In the past couple of weeks she's asked me several times, "Mommy, when is Dr. S going to say I can eat grapes?" She also likes to tell people that she's allergic to things but she can have pudding. If it's somebody we know, that's usually followed by them asking, "Isn't she allergic to milk?" I suppose someday if she's ever able to have real pudding, she will be shocked to realize that her "pudding" was not actually pudding. She'll probably hate the real stuff.

After they had their lunch today, they started arguing about something but I couldn't quite hear what it was. Then Raya started yelling at the top of her lungs, "I'M NOT RIDIC-LEE-US!!" over and over again. Ridiculous is one of her recent favorite words and I love how she says it. The fact that she was yelling it in an argument with her 5 year old sister made it even funnier. :)

She also likes to make her toys talk. And her hands. One of these days, I'll get a good video of her hands playing. She has one heck of an imagination when it comes to that. The added bonus is that we never lose them like kids can lose toys. She took toys with her to the doctor's office yesterday and played while we were in the waiting room. This video is a very mild and subdued moment compared to her usual energy level but it's still a pretty good representation of the way she plays, and the way she gets distracted in the middle of things. :) And for the record, one of the "toys" she's playing with is indeed a ponytail holder, and the ponytail holder was involved in the conversation with the dinosaur and the Squinky. She's THAT creative. :)







Comments

  1. Henry's speech has cleared up a lot too since the start of the year. I can usually understand what he's saying while crying! The thing he says that geeks me out is 'like.' 'And then I was like, Antonio, NO! You can't drive backwards.' Or when dad asks him what he's eating and he tells him what it is and says, 'I asked my mom for [xy,z] and she was like, 'you have to pick up your shoes first.' They are so awesome at this age!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …