Skip to main content


Normally I don't care that much when it's Friday. Don't get me wrong, Fridays are lovely, but it's usually not that big of a deal. Today though, I'm SO glad it's Friday. Donny didn't have to work until 4pm so he didn't leave at 5:30 in the morning like he usually does and was here to help get the kids off to school. I didn't have to take Raya to school, and Donny took her to therapy so that I could go take my midterm, which I totally smoked. (go me!) Now it's quiet and the kids are at least pretending to be in bed, so I can relax and attempt to catch up on some projects & house cleaning that have gone by the wayside this week while I was studying.

Raya has had a better week this week than she did last week. Wednesday morning, I walked into the kitchen and she looked up at me with puffy chipmunk cheeks and a guilty look on her face. I asked her what was in her mouth and she just looked at me. I squeezed her cheeks so I could see into her mouth and a row of Honey Nut Cheerios smiled back at me. (really, they looked like holy teeth. it was weird.) I hurried and took her over to the garbage can and told her to spit them out. She hurried and swallowed them. (of course) Ugh. Remember how she's allergic to oats and nuts? I warned her teacher when I dropped her off that she had been impulsively eating things off of the floor at home and she promised to watch her closely. Thankfully she didn't seem to have any reactions to them. Stinker.

When I picked her up from school on Wednesday, she got upset with me because I didn't let her open the car door by herself. Never mind the fact that she can barely reach the handle, let alone exert enough force to actually open the door. She cried all the way home and then after I closed the car doors and went in the house, she stayed in the garage for 10 minutes trying to open the door.
Finally, I told her I was going to turn off the lights. That didn't help, so I turned off the lights and told her I was going to close the door. She said, "Hey! That would scare me!" To which I replied, "Then come in the house!" and she did but she was not happy about it.

About 5 minutes later, her sweet, wonderful respite provider (who will be leaving us soon) arrived. When Raya heard the doorbell ring, she perked up and said, "Is it MEGAN!?" Then she remembered she was supposed to be pouting and started pouting again. Playing with Megan always makes her happy though. They played outside in the nice weather for a while, read books on the back porch, and played with Legos.

The big kids got out of school early on Wednesday so they were home all afternoon to play with the girls after Megan left. I decided to be a super cool mom and let the kids play syringe water fight again. Then I was even more awesome and let them have popsicles while they dried off.
Raya's is a homemade Splash-sicle and she doesn't care that hers is different from theirs, she's just happy to have a popsicle. (whew!)

Thursday wasn't too exciting. We had OT with a different therapist since ours is still out of town. The girls LOVED it. She taught them some deep breathing exercises, stretching, and yoga.

 Excuse the blur, she was leaning over to blow bubbles.

The rest of the day, the girls rotted their minds in front of the TV while I studied for midterms. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. On the bright side, I got an A. :)

After I got home from the testing center today, I let the kids play out in front of the house. They love riding their scooters & bikes out front so occasionally I let them. Today, they rode scooters. It's hard work for Raya but she likes it.

Then I was the mean mom that made the kids come in and clean their rooms. Of course as soon as I left the room, the goofing around started. One thing led to another and the next thing I know, someone's yelling, "Mommy, Raya's getting wet!" Aaaaand her extension tube had come unclamped while she was roughhousing with her brother.
She and the entire living room smelled like stomach and a lot of the formula she'd had & the Splash she'd been drinking at therapy came back out. I got her cleaned up, fed the big kids dinner, and then let them watch something on Netflix once they had jammies on. Raya fell asleep on the couch so I left her there and then had a nice little snuggle with her before I put her in bed. I love those little sleep snuggles!


Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …