Skip to main content

I'm high-fiving you in my head

Today while Raya's darling respite provider was here with her, I took Kaida to the library so that I could study in relative peace and Kaida could pull books off the shelves to her little heart's content and "read" them. I managed to find an adult-sized chair in the kids' section and we commandeered a table that we quickly covered with the DVDs we planned on checking out, a stack of children's books, my giant textbook, 2 piles of notecards, a stack of note pages, a notebook, and Donny's super rad sports car folder, circa 1992.
We sat at the table for about 20 minutes and during that time, I wondered why the children's section was virtually empty. Then story time ended and that answered that question. We were sitting in direct view of the shelves of children's DVDs, so I could clearly see everyone that walked by to pick out movies. Most of them were mothers with young toddlers, so when a tall teenage boy and his dad & brother started perusing the selection, I couldn't help but notice them. At first glance, it looked like the boy was wearing a pair of those big headphones that are all the rage right now but I quickly realized that they were not headphones for listening to music. They were noise-canceling earphones.

As soon as I realized that, I started to notice other characteristics similar to those of some of the kids we see at the therapy clinic Raya goes to and guessed that this boy probably has autism. I couldn't help but watch him as he silently ran his fingers over the DVD cases on the shelves, touching every single one. He walked with a bit of a spring in his step, his heels never really resting on the floor. His father had a thick, athletic build but the boy was very thin, perhaps because of sensory issues that make eating difficult. (I can only guess...) He made a few sounds and used a lot of hand gestures, but never actually spoke.

A couple of times, he seemed to get distracted. He turned away from the DVD shelves and started to walk away. Each time, his dad gently reached out and held onto his arm and spoke softly to him as he guided him back to the shelves. The boy (who looked to be about 14 or 15) was quiet, calm, and happy as he selected 3 cartoon DVDs to check out and take home with him. His dad reminded him that he could only pick two and held out the 3 DVDs the boy had chosen. I couldn't hear what he said to his son, but without speaking, the boy pointed to one of the DVDs and he put it back on the shelf. They walked out of the children's section and towards the check-out station, but stopped by the giant dollhouse in the glass case so the boy could look at it first.

Once or twice during the time they were there, the dad walked by and we made eye contact. I smiled and nodded, hoping that he could somehow see that I was watching in admiration rather than staring in judgement. I wanted him to know that I could see the results of what has likely been a lifetime of hard work on their part. From the boy's calm, content demeanor, to the way they communicated without speaking, to the gentle and patient way that the dad kept the son focused on what he was doing. It was awesome. If I could have high-fived them both, I would have but I couldn't, so I just high-fived them in my head.

I find myself doing that a lot now. Being the parent of a child with special needs has changed the way I look at other kids and parents. It is nearly unbelievable how hard some children have to work just to be able to function on a daily basis (like so many of the kids we see at therapy). I would venture to guess that an older child who, like the young man we saw today, still needs to wear noise-canceling earphones in order to be comfortable in a public place like a library, has overcome unimaginable obstacles just to get to that point. I was proud of him. I don't know him and will probably never see him again, but I was proud of him and, I suppose, proud of his parents too. They have obviously worked very hard with him.

When you're out in public and you see someone with special needs, no matter what they're doing, whether they're behaving beautifully or not, know that the people who take care of them are working very hard every single day. Recognize that no matter how the person is behaving, they have likely worked very hard to overcome obstacles just to get to that point and will continue to work hard every single day. High-five them for it, even if you're just high-fiving them in your head. They deserve it. To the dad I saw today at the library, keep up the good work. You are obviously doing a great job with your son. {*high five*}




Comments

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …