Skip to main content

Weekend visitors

We were so happy to have Raya's grandparents come into town this weekend! We only get to see them once or twice a year so the kids get really excited when we get to see them. They came on Friday evening so they could be here for Cole's baptism on Saturday. The kids spent all of Friday evening snuggling on the couches and playing with them.

On Saturday, we all got dressed and went to the church for Cole's baptism.

After the baptism, we had all of the family & friends that came over for lunch and birthday cake. It was a great day and we really appreciated everybody's support. The kids had a blast playing with their cousins & friends but by the time everybody left, Raya was worn out. She didn't seem to be overwhelmed by the noise & excitement but it seemed to zap her energy.

She really loves her grandpas. Friday night and Saturday morning, she had been playing with the grandpa that was visiting for the weekend. Then on Saturday afternoon, the other grandpa was at our house too. At one point, she was looking for the out-of-town grandpa and she stopped, put her hand on her cheek, looked at me and said, "Mommy, there's TWO Grandpas!" And she sure does love them both!
Everybody was pretty tired that afternoon so the kids all laid down and watched a movie. Raya has decided that she really likes her new "blanket" that her Aunt Joanne sent her for Christmas and insisted on being covered up with it.
Later in the evening, we got ready to go out to dinner.
That turned out to be a marathon of an evening. The place we were going to eat at was PACKED when we drove up. The line was out the door and down the sidewalk, so we decided to drive a couple miles and go somewhere else. That turned out to be a bad idea because EVERY restaurant was just as packed as the first one. We decided we'd just put our names in and walk around the store across the parking lot while we waited. They said it would be about an hour wait if we ate on the patio, which was fine since the weather was so nice.

We walked around the store for a while and the kids got hungry so we got them some pizza to hold them over. Except Raya, because she had fallen asleep as soon as we got in the car. We had just adjusted the dosage on one of her meds so between that and being worn out from such a busy day, she was sleeping hard.
She slept in the cart the whole time we were at the store, during the walk across the huge parking lot, and for the whole time we sat outside the restaurant waiting for a table. She was SO tired and I will admit, I very much enjoyed the snuggle time.
She kept me warm while we waited. It turned out to be MUCH longer than the hour they had told us originally but after you've waited for a while, there's no point in leaving so we stayed. Cole and Grandpa played rock-paper-scissors and the girls played charades with Grandma.
We had gotten there and checked in at about 6:15 and it was about 8:30 when they finally took us to a table. Outside on the patio. By then, Raya had taken a good nap and was waking up, and not in a good way. She was a very unhappy girl. She was overdue for a formula feed because we hadn't planned on being gone that long so we had left the pump at home. She was crying when we ordered our food. She heard me say the word "fries" and decided she wanted some, so for the next 20 or 30 minutes she cried about wanting fries. It was sad. I thought I was going to have to just leave but then the food finally came. The fries were the kind that have potato skin on the ends so she wasn't too sure about it at first. Then she dipped one in tartar sauce and liked the tartar sauce so she ended up eating a lot of tartar sauce and a couple of fries. We didn't stay very long after the food came. Raya was too tired and too upset to stay. We packed everything up and headed home just after 9:00, which was WAY too late for my poor kiddos who are used to going to bed at 7. It was not exactly how we had planned the evening but we still had a good time. When we got home, she snuggled on the couch with Grandma (who just had surgery on her hand last week).

Sunday morning we got up and went to church. Afterwards, the kids wanted to go enjoy the great weather so Grandma & Grandpa took them outside to ride bikes.

Grandma & Grandpa were enjoying the lovely weather too. Much warmer than the single digits they've had at their house! Mom got some cute pictures of Raya and Dad.
So sweet! We had dinner and watched Goonies and then the kids went off to bed, but not before a few more snuggles with Grandma.

This morning everybody got dressed and played for a while.
Grandpa played cards with the girls.
And they snuggled.
Raya wasn't feeling too good until she got her medicines and had a little formula in her stomach. Then she was ready to go. We had a few hours before Grandma & Grandpa had to be at the airport so we decided to meet up with some friends at the zoo. It was PACKED. The regular parking lot and the overflow parking lot were both full, so we had to park REEEEEEEALLY far away and walk. The weather was perfect so we didn't mind too much. Once we got inside the zoo, Raya didn't want to be in the stroller at all. Who could blame her. You can't really see the animals when you're sitting down. She would jump up and run to an exhibit, look at the animal for a few seconds, and then get back in the stroller.

After a couple hours of walking around, the kids were getting worn out and we still had a long trek back to the car. We said goodbye to the friends we had met up with and headed for the exit. The exit is cleverly located in the gift shop, so as we were about to walk into the gift shop to leave, we saw this fabulous window display that made me think of all my tubie momma friends:
You know you're a tubie momma when you can have a detailed conversation about poop while you're eating lunch together. Or via late night text message, middle of the day facebook message, etc. We talk about poop a lot.

Moving on... Raya was just plain...pooped after all of that excitement in the very warm weather. She fell asleep in her stroller before we even got back to the car. Must be nice to have a nap while somebody pushes you around in a stroller. She was so tired that she slept through dropping Grandma & Grandpa off at the airport. Grandpa tried to wake her up but she was just plain out cold. Everybody was worn out when we got home. Ashtyn laid down on her bed and cried because she was sad that her grandparents had gone home. It took Raya a while to realize they were gone. She came in my office at about 5:00 and said, "Where's Grandpa??" She wasn't happy when I told her that he had gone back to his house. We sure had a good weekend!


Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …