Skip to main content

First day of PRESCHOOL!

All of the stress and frustration over getting little missy into preschool FINALLY ended this week. We have officially transitioned from early intervention services to preschool. Raya's first day was on Wednesday and she was less than thrilled to get ready for school that morning. She wakes up pretty early every morning so it's not like I had to wake her up or anything. The problem is that you just can't rush this kid. If she's not ready to get dressed, she's not ready to get dressed. If she's not ready for me to give her meds, she's not ready for me to give her meds. We were GOING to have plenty of time to get her to school a few minutes early, but between having to coax her to let me put clothes on her and formula in her belly and another child being slow as molasses to get ready, we barely made it in time.

She was sporting her "Preschool Rocks!" t-shirt and sparkly pink hairbows in her pigtails. (and a randomly placed hot pink teddy bear barrette that she saw on the counter and HAD to put in her hair) So flippin' cute! If only she would have held still long enough for a decent picture. :)


She was excited to hold her new fairy backpack but it may be a while before we can convince her to put it on. I found it amusing that a kid who started wearing a backpack when she was 7 months old made such a big deal about putting on a cute big kid backpack that she actually likes. :)


She starts school a few minutes earlier than the big kids so we all took her to her class and signed her in. All the other kids have been in school since August so they all knew where to go but Raya didn't so I walked her over to the wall where they were lining up. She was pretty excited by then but I don't think she really got what was happening.

She was seriously the cutest little thing ever. Looking at that picture just makes me want to squeeze her. I knew the best thing to do for her was to just say goodbye and walk away so I took a picture, smiled and said goodbye, and walked out the gate without looking back. I was hoping to see her walk into her classroom but I really didn't want her to see me looking at her and make things difficult and by the time I got to the car, they were gone. I didn't cry, by the way. :) Neither did Kaida. She had a permagrin from ear to ear for the next 2.5 hours. It was chilly that morning so after we had walked to the health office to take Raya's emergency kit & another pile of forms to the health aide, we went home and made hot chocolate and toast and watched Polar Express. It was lovely.  

Judging by how difficult it was to convince her to let me put socks on her that morning, I didn't expect her to be wearing them when I picked her up. She was, but they were the first thing to go when we walked in the door at home!



I'm happy for her that she has the opportunity to go to preschool. She was SO happy when we picked her up. She was pretty wound up the rest of the afternoon. I had hoped she'd wear herself out and be able to take a nap that afternoon but she was in a state of high alertness the rest of the day. Albeit happy. :)

The plus side of that was that she had a really good eating day. I had really not wanted to send her to school connected to the pump but couldn't make the drastic change in her schedule that it would take for that to happen. Instead of trying to shift her whole schedule though, I decided that it might work to split her morning feed in half and do half before school and half when she got home. It seemed to work out well for her. She didn't go to school with an empty belly and she came home ready to have a snack with Kaida. What she REALLY wanted was Pringles. I offered her a banana. She didn't say no, but she really wanted Pringles. (which, by the way, have wheat AND rice AND a very small amount of milk/dairy in them) I learned something interesting about my girl during that snack time. She likes bananas (or at least doesn't NOT like them) but she HATES to touch them. She doesn't like the sticky, slimy feel of the banana on her fingers. I can't say that I blame her, really. I used the technique we had been using with her last feeding therapist before she discontinued with us where she gets a bite of a motivator food after she takes a bite or two (ideally more) of the goal food. When all was said and done, she had eaten almost half of the banana and probably about 8 or 10 Pringles. I knew it was a little bit of a gamble to let her eat them but I didn't think it would bother her much. The aftermath wasn't terrible but now we know that she really shouldn't eat Pringles anymore either. She seems to be getting more and more sensitive now that we've eliminated things.
Later in the day, she wanted another snack so I offered her applesauce. Normally she refuses to eat it but she ended up eating about 2/3 of the container. Between the banana, applesauce, Pringles and marshmallows she had for her snack at school, she ended up around 200 calories for the day. Mostly sugar, but it was a good day for oral intake. Good day all around, really.

It's bittersweet for me to send her off to school at the very young age of 3. It's sad for me to already have her out of my sight and out of my direct care and to not be a part of her life for 2.5 hours a day, 4 days a week. I know it's the right thing for her and for all of us though, and I'm glad she's in a place where she's cared for. (as long as her tube never comes out while she's there, of course)

Comments

  1. Just saw that Stacks (off brand of pringles) are gluten free! All flavors too! I don't know if they have rice though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …