Skip to main content

Super Mommy-1, Food Allergies-0

That's right. Score one for Team Super Mommy. I showed that possible wheat & rice allergy who's boss around here and made Raya some wheat-free, rice-free pancakes for dinner. Booyah!

She (we all) had a long day today. The big kids are out of school all week for fall break so they accompanied us to OT today. This was the first appointment in her 20 months of occupational therapy (or any therapy) that she's gone back all by herself. I usually at least walk her back while the therapist and I chat & catch up on the week but today I just sent her off with her OT. We've tried it before and it resulted in meltdowns and leg clinging but today I was sitting down in a chair and I don't think she realized I wasn't following her when she went through the door. :) By all accounts, she had a good session today.

After that, we went grocery shopping. (cue ominous music) It was unpleasant. 4 kids walking through a giant, brand new and very crowded grocery store at 1pm on a Monday is a recipe for disaster. On the bright side, I've been waiting for 11 long years for this state to get one of those stores and it finally happened! Now we can get wonderful things like tapioca flour and buckwheat flour in the bulk foods section. It's a beautiful thing.

After the pancake incident on Saturday, I really wanted to find a wheat- and rice-free pancake recipe and I'd heard that buckwheat was a good ingredient to use for that. I got some buckwheat flour and tapioca flour and googled a recipe that sounded really similar to a typical pancake recipe and got my gluten free on. I had to make a few modifications but I whipped up a batch of buckwheat-tapioca pancakes that tasted good enough that everybody else was jealous that Raya was eating them for dinner and they were stuck with leftover spaghetti. I ate 4 of them while I was cooking.
 
They definitely don't taste like regular pancakes but the taste isn't overpowering and the texture is almost exactly like regular pancakes. The proof is in the pudding though, and the pudding's name is Raya.
 
She ate 2 whole pancakes plus a couple bites of a third pancake. While I was making them, she was whining that she wanted "marsh-a-mellows" and hanging all over me. (no nap today, btw) I said, "Raya, do you want to eat pancakes for dinner?" Her face lit up and she got all excited and said, "I eat pancakes? I want pancakes!" She couldn't wait to take a bite (I couldn't either) so I broke off a piece and blew on it to cool it off and then we both ate a little bit of it. I liked it. She moved it around in her mouth a little bit and then said, "I wite it! I want more pancake!" Those words were music to my ears. :)



By the time I did the video, she was pretty much done eating but it was still exciting to see her that happy about food. Now that we've conquered pancakes, we'll branch out to other things. In case anybody else needs a gluten-free/wheat-free, rice-free, dairy-free pancake recipe, here it is:

Buckwheat Pancakes
3/4C buckwheat flour
1/4C tapioca flour
2T sugar
1/4C flaxseed meal
pinch of salt
1 egg (or equivalent egg replacer)
1C coconut milk
2T corn oil (or any vegetable oil)

Preheat pan to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Mix dry ingredients with wire whisk breaking up any lumps (especially the tapioca flour). Add in beaten egg/egg replacer, coconut milk and oil. Mix until well blended. Pour approx. 1/4 batter into hot pan. Cook until bubbles break on the surface, flip and cook until done (about another minute).

Next time, I'll add cinnamon and vanilla like we normally do when we have pancakes. I might also change the ratio of buckwheat to tapioca flour next time and see how that turns out.

Comments

  1. Mmm, I might try that recipe. She seems so much older than when I saw her last year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …