Skip to main content

Road Trippin'

Well, we survived the 13 hour day of driving. The kids and I left at 7:00 Thursday morning (yes, just me and the kids, Daddy has to teach his class at the college until next Thursday) and drove ALLLLLLLL day and got to my grandparents' house exactly 13 hours later. That was in spite of having to make an extra diaper changing stop, several stops for road construction, and car trouble that turned out to be a result of one of the things the mechanic we took the car to to get it ready for the trip did to it. Oops.
Anyway, I'm happy to report that I didn't have to use my vomit clean-up kit that I put in the car before we left. There was no vomiting the entire way here from any of the 4 kids so I was thrilled. Raya did great pretty much the whole drive. She got upset about 3/4 of the way when I went to strap her back in the carseat but she got over it pretty quickly. For the last 15 minutes of the drive, she kept repeating, "Dee-OUT!" and was very excited when she got to get out of the car at great-grandma's house. She's been busy getting into everything since then. :)

She's been doing really well playing with all the other kids and getting crashed into and climbing up & down the porch steps. I'm really glad Donny remembered to get the high chair packed in the car for me (it's the kind that straps on to a regular chair). She LOVES to sit in it and did for about 90 minutes last night during the picnic dinner in the yard. She just sat & played with crackers and begged for water, which she dumped all down the front of herself.
She has had a little trouble sensory-wise though. She's not used to being around so many people for such a long time, and compounded with not getting a nap and staying up until 11:30, she had a huge meltdown tonight. Probably one of the worst ones she's had. She cried for an hour or more and nothing I did helped. All the stuff that usually helps her, like chewing on a cold wet washcloth or sitting in her high chair or going outside, just made her mad. I ended up taking her for a little drive and that was exactly what she needed to calm down. After that, she was just fine the rest of the evening. Her GI system has been a little off. I think sitting in the car for the whole day on Thursday did a number on her motility. She's still asking for crackers a lot but there's not much of anything going down her throat since we've been here. She'll take a bite or two of whatever she's got and then spit it out or beg me to wipe it off her tongue.
Anyway, overall she's doing really well and traveled better than I anticipated. Tomorrow we'll head out on the next leg of the trip.


Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …