Skip to main content

Why I haven't posted anything this week

1. busy filing a claim with secondary insurance from an urgent care visit over the summer at an urgent care where her primary insurance is not accepted but secondary is, but since primary insurance denied the claim, they refused to bill secondary so now I'm having to do it for them and hope that the secondary insurance takes me seriously since nobody there seemed to think it was kosher for a patient to file a claim

2. trying to convince school district that October is too early to do a 3 year reevaluation (never mind that it's only been 2 years) for the kindergarten transition process, which, if she happened to not score within the qualifying range, she would be booted out of preschool as of Thanksgiving, and to convince them that we do not in fact HAVE to do said reevaluation prior to the IEP meeting that is due at the end of the month, and should actually do the IEP meeting first and wait until February or March to do the reevaluation

3. trying to stay on top of making sure the hospital in LA is sending prior auth requests, insurance companies are receiving prior auth requests and granting authorizations, figuring out how we're getting to LA, how many of us are going, where we'll stay if Ronald McDonald House doesn't have a room for us (which we will not know until we get there), flip-flopping back and forth about whether we're doing the right thing by doing motility testing again even though I know we need to do it, stressing about what to do with the other kids while we're gone even though a friend has already said they could stay with her and she'll get them off to school for us, and trying to picture how we will manage having Piper at the hospital with us but knowing that I can't bring myself to leave her home

4. I'm leaving a week from yesterday to go to the NASPGHAN conference to help run the booth for the Feeding Tube Awareness Foundation (which I'm VERY excited about!!), so I have to hurry and get all of my "in case I get hit by a bus" information compiled for Donny so he is up to date on everything that needs to be done with Raya and Piper while I'm gone for 3 days
*NASPGHAN=North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition

5. trying REALLY hard not to lose my milk supply (thank you, stress...)

6. still trying to get Raya some kind of counseling/behavioral health evaluation like the developmental pediatrician recommended to help her deal with her anxiety (which has gotten exponentially worse in the last month or so, thank you, hospital) and WISHING that the people at school could see what it's like to try and get her to function at all when she's stressed out or doesn't want to do something

7. trying not to panic over any of the above items or develop any new stress-related ulcers

8. Halloween is 2 weeks from tomorrow and nobody has costumes

9. Dinner?? Didn't I just feed you guys yesterday??

10. dealing with a little girl who has not felt good since her last GJ tube change and has the behavior and poor sleep habits to prove it (and I'm not talking about naughty kid behavior, I'm talking about the coping behaviors that help her deal with how her body is feeling)

11. prescription copay reimbursement forms that have been waiting to be filled out & mailed for a long time now, which is only necessary because the mail order pharmacy our primary insurance requires us to use refuses to bill her secondary insurance like they're supposed to, so we have to pay upfront and get reimbursed (not that I'm complaining about having such wonderful insurance coverage, it's just that I kind of have enough to do already)

12. trying to find a behavioral health provider that accepts both of her insurances so we can try to get her some counseling for her anxiety, which is proving to be absolutely maddening.

So yeah. I'm a little maxed out right now. I am feeling like I'm spread way too thin but there's not much I can do about it. I mailed off the insurance claim yesterday and have drafted an email for the school psychologist, but I can't send it until I have someone read it to make sure I have worded it effectively. (and can I just say that it really sucks to feel like you're walking on eggshells and if you make one wrong move or say one word wrong, your kid might end up getting kicked out of preschool)

And also I kind of feel like this:

Yeah. I just don't want to.









Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …