Skip to main content

An evening out with my darlings

This past Friday night, Donny and Cole went camping with our brother-in-law and nephew so it was just us girls at home. (just the 5 of us. out of 7. ha ha.) I decided to make it a fun and special night for my girls. When I was growing up, there was pretty much one night a year that my dad and brothers went out of town. Being a dairy farmer kind of ties a person down. When they were able to get away, they went to "Fathers' and Sons' Outing" for church and while all of the men were gone, we would get together with some of our friends and have girls' night. I have some really great memories from those parties! We would eat delicious homemade Mexican food (which we did NOT eat at my house because my dad didn't like it) and watch musicals and spend the evening playing with our friends.

Donny picked Cole up early from school on Friday and they packed the car and headed for the hills.
Raya watched something on Netflix while Piper and I took a much needed rest on the couch and we waited for the big girls to get home from school. Through the screen door, I could hear Kaida bawling like her little heart was broken before they even got into the house. I asked her what she was crying about and she said, "I miss Bubba!" Poor little thing. :) I told them all to put on whatever clothes they were going to wear for girls' night so we could get the party started and that cheered her up a little.

I wanted it to be special for each of them so I let them decide on what we did for the evening. Ashtyn really wanted to watch a musical so I gladly agreed to that. They all wanted to have dinner from a restaurant so I let them decide whether we went out or got takeout and gave them a couple places to choose from. Raya really wanted to have a dance party in the living room, and they all wanted to paint their nails.

We all got dressed and they all came in my bathroom to get their hair brushed. I surprised them by offering to let them all wear lipstick to dinner. They all picked matching lipstick and I even put eyeshadow and blush on Ashtyn & Kaida, who by that point had totally forgotten about how sad she was that Cole was gone for the night. We hopped in the car and headed to a little Chinese food place down the road. And of course since it was girls' night, we had to blast the radio and sing along!
Before we left the house, I had tried to get Raya to decide on what food she wanted to bring to eat at the restaurant. She turned me down on everything I offered and said she didn't want anything. Her stomach has been bothering her a lot lately and she hasn't been taking snacks to school so I figured she just wasn't hungry. When we got to the restaurant, she told me she just wanted food from the restaurant, not from home. Oops. There was NOTHING on their menu she could have. She ended up eating some ice, Splenda, and licking a little bit of 2 Dum Dum suckers. She also grabbed and ate a fried wonton chip before I even saw that she had it. Once she'd eaten a bite of it, I figured what the heck, she might as well finish it. She had already gotten into and eaten Ritz crackers the day before. I hate being the bad guy all the time when it comes to policing her food intake. This time, I actually let her choose. I told her that the food she was eating had wheat in it and would make her stomach hurt but that it was her choice if she wanted to eat something that would make her sick or not. 

After dinner, which did not last long thanks to Raya being sad about not getting to order food and Piper waking up and crying, we went to a little grocery store on the corner and picked out some dessert. I chose that store because I knew they had some of the SO Delicious brand ice cream bars that Raya can have. She picked out the vanilla ice cream bars and the other girls and I picked out a chocolate silk pie with an Oreo crust. We blasted the radio again on the way home and then got ready for our dance par-tay.

At first, Raya was not into it. She was really sleepy all of a sudden and didn't want to do anything but lay on the couch.
After she saw Kaida and Ashtyn dancing, she found some energy and joined them. It probably also helped that I unplugged her from her pump.

Here are a few pictures from the dance party:








wow, I have long, skinny, white arms, don't I





Then it was on to the next portion of the evening: pedicures and a musical!
Piper was not a fan.


We had a slumber party in the living room and it was a great evening! Sometimes I feel like 4 girls is a lot of girls (and heaven help me in their teenage years) but I sure do love my girlies!











Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …