*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*


**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**

Monday, February 3, 2014

Unexpected hospital admission

We've had a good, long run between unplanned hospital stays but all good things must come to an end. Last week I noticed that Raya's wet diapers had a strong and unusual stink to them. I chalked it up to a decrease in her oral fluid intake due to the cough she'd had. I increased her g tube fluids and her stinky pee went back to normal. Thursday she was laying around more than usual and in the afternoon I realized she had a low fever. It went away after she went to sleep but she had a fever again by the time she woke up on Friday. I kept her home from school and canceled therapy. Her temperate was up and down but for the most part she was still acting pretty normal. On Saturday afternoon her fever came back and seemed higher to me. Add the evening went on, she got hotter and hotter. Later that night we gave her Tylenol and a bath and that cooled her off a bit. At one point I had taken her temp with the exergen forehead thermometer and the stupid thing said her temp was 107.3. She was hot but not THAT hot. Even though I knew the thermometer was wrong, I was a bit concerned about how hot she felt. She really didn't have any symptoms that pointed to anything obvious and I thought about taking her to the ER but by then it was 2:30am and I was too tired. She was cooler in the morning and had a good morning Sunday. I was exhausted Fromm the lack of sleep the night before so I laid down to take a nap. I knee she was not feeling well when she came in my room and asked if she could lay down with me in the middle of the afternoon. When I woke up I could see her shivering and shaking even though she was wrapped up in a warm blanket. I took her temp again and it was over 104. Since it was the fourth day of fevers &I didn't know for sure what was causing them I decided to take her to urgent care. She got hotter on the way there. When they took her temperature, I was shocked to hear that it was 105.9. Never in 11 years of being a parent have I seen a temp that high in any of my 4 kids. She looked like she felt awful. She didn't have any obvious visible symptoms to explain such a high fever. We gave her Tylenol immediately and within probably half an hour she was starting to cool off. I could tell that she was already staring to feel a little better. I can't even imagine how awful it must feel to have a fever that high. We did a throat culture and cathed her for a clean urine specimen and then waited for results. While we waited, she felt good enough to dig through the toy drawer and sing. When the doctor came back in she said that without a doubt, Raya had a bad UTI. She said every single thing they look got in the urine was positive. I was relieved that it want something contagious, especially with me being less than 2 weeks from my due date. The typical treatment would have been to give her a shot of rocephin, but she is allergic to another drug in the same family so we can't risk using any cephalosporins with her. That eliminated rocephin and keflex. Bactrim was another option but it's not effective in a large percentage of children so with her fever being so high and my due date coming fast, we didn't want to risk giving her something that had a good chance of not working. The next option was augmentin, but because of her history of c. diff we have always avoided using antibiotics that have to be given for more than 5 days. With all things considered, the doctor and I both felt like the best option was to admit her for IV antibiotics. Because I'm extremely tired right now, I'm not going to waste my energy rehashing the while ER admitting experience. Suffice it to say the way the urgent care doctor told me it would go down was not at all how it happened and we spent WAYYYY too much time in the nasty, germy ER that made my skin crawl than we should have had to. Eventually they decoded on two different antibiotics and got them started. It took almost 4 hours from the time we got there until we we finally in a room. It was 3:00 this morning before we actually went to sleep. And of course the resident came in at 7:00 this morning on the dot. The plan for the day was to wait for results from the cultures, which usually takes 48 hours, give or take. In the mean time, she'd keep getting the two abx they started last night and hopefully not spike a fever again. Once the results were back, they would decide a more specific course of treatment that we could go home on. Unfortunately she has had fevers off & on today again so we won't be going home tomorrow for sure. On the bright side, the highest her fever got today was about 103 so that's much less scary than almost 106. She's had times today where she felt pretty good but she's also felt lousy. She's been shaky on her feet and sill looks like she just doesn't feel good. She watched shows on Netflix with the iPad for most of the afternoon. A therapy dog named Milo came to visit her. She was not at all impressed. He was huge. His handler/trainer/person did a silly trick with him. My sweet friend Dana brought me lunch and visited for the afternoon. At lunch time Raya felt good enough to order a baked potato for lunch but by the time it showed up, she was staring to feel yucky again. She had one or two bites and a nibble or two of the soggy French fries and that was it. It was a pretty uneventful day. Not a bad thing though, I needed to stop having contractions and sitting around all day diff the trick. Now we just keep waiting for the cultures and cross fingers that her temperate stays in the normal range.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...