Skip to main content

Unexpected hospital admission

We've had a good, long run between unplanned hospital stays but all good things must come to an end. Last week I noticed that Raya's wet diapers had a strong and unusual stink to them. I chalked it up to a decrease in her oral fluid intake due to the cough she'd had. I increased her g tube fluids and her stinky pee went back to normal. Thursday she was laying around more than usual and in the afternoon I realized she had a low fever. It went away after she went to sleep but she had a fever again by the time she woke up on Friday. I kept her home from school and canceled therapy. Her temperate was up and down but for the most part she was still acting pretty normal. On Saturday afternoon her fever came back and seemed higher to me. Add the evening went on, she got hotter and hotter. Later that night we gave her Tylenol and a bath and that cooled her off a bit. At one point I had taken her temp with the exergen forehead thermometer and the stupid thing said her temp was 107.3. She was hot but not THAT hot. Even though I knew the thermometer was wrong, I was a bit concerned about how hot she felt. She really didn't have any symptoms that pointed to anything obvious and I thought about taking her to the ER but by then it was 2:30am and I was too tired. She was cooler in the morning and had a good morning Sunday. I was exhausted Fromm the lack of sleep the night before so I laid down to take a nap. I knee she was not feeling well when she came in my room and asked if she could lay down with me in the middle of the afternoon. When I woke up I could see her shivering and shaking even though she was wrapped up in a warm blanket. I took her temp again and it was over 104. Since it was the fourth day of fevers &I didn't know for sure what was causing them I decided to take her to urgent care. She got hotter on the way there. When they took her temperature, I was shocked to hear that it was 105.9. Never in 11 years of being a parent have I seen a temp that high in any of my 4 kids. She looked like she felt awful. She didn't have any obvious visible symptoms to explain such a high fever. We gave her Tylenol immediately and within probably half an hour she was starting to cool off. I could tell that she was already staring to feel a little better. I can't even imagine how awful it must feel to have a fever that high. We did a throat culture and cathed her for a clean urine specimen and then waited for results. While we waited, she felt good enough to dig through the toy drawer and sing. When the doctor came back in she said that without a doubt, Raya had a bad UTI. She said every single thing they look got in the urine was positive. I was relieved that it want something contagious, especially with me being less than 2 weeks from my due date. The typical treatment would have been to give her a shot of rocephin, but she is allergic to another drug in the same family so we can't risk using any cephalosporins with her. That eliminated rocephin and keflex. Bactrim was another option but it's not effective in a large percentage of children so with her fever being so high and my due date coming fast, we didn't want to risk giving her something that had a good chance of not working. The next option was augmentin, but because of her history of c. diff we have always avoided using antibiotics that have to be given for more than 5 days. With all things considered, the doctor and I both felt like the best option was to admit her for IV antibiotics. Because I'm extremely tired right now, I'm not going to waste my energy rehashing the while ER admitting experience. Suffice it to say the way the urgent care doctor told me it would go down was not at all how it happened and we spent WAYYYY too much time in the nasty, germy ER that made my skin crawl than we should have had to. Eventually they decoded on two different antibiotics and got them started. It took almost 4 hours from the time we got there until we we finally in a room. It was 3:00 this morning before we actually went to sleep. And of course the resident came in at 7:00 this morning on the dot. The plan for the day was to wait for results from the cultures, which usually takes 48 hours, give or take. In the mean time, she'd keep getting the two abx they started last night and hopefully not spike a fever again. Once the results were back, they would decide a more specific course of treatment that we could go home on. Unfortunately she has had fevers off & on today again so we won't be going home tomorrow for sure. On the bright side, the highest her fever got today was about 103 so that's much less scary than almost 106. She's had times today where she felt pretty good but she's also felt lousy. She's been shaky on her feet and sill looks like she just doesn't feel good. She watched shows on Netflix with the iPad for most of the afternoon. A therapy dog named Milo came to visit her. She was not at all impressed. He was huge. His handler/trainer/person did a silly trick with him. My sweet friend Dana brought me lunch and visited for the afternoon. At lunch time Raya felt good enough to order a baked potato for lunch but by the time it showed up, she was staring to feel yucky again. She had one or two bites and a nibble or two of the soggy French fries and that was it. It was a pretty uneventful day. Not a bad thing though, I needed to stop having contractions and sitting around all day diff the trick. Now we just keep waiting for the cultures and cross fingers that her temperate stays in the normal range.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …