INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Special needs moments and trying to remember "normal"

It's been really great having a new baby in the house again. {I'm so, so tired though...} She's only been here for 2 days but I ♥ her and I wish I could just lay around and snuggle her all day long every day. 

We've had some funny moments that pretty much just illustrate how having Raya has shifted the way we all think. For example, the first time that Kaida saw her umbilical cord stump, she stared at it for a while and then made some comment about her tube.  (i.e. she thought the cord was a G tube) 

Today, I was using the breast pump and Raya walked in and wanted to know what I was doing to my tummy. I told her I was using a pump to get milk for baby Piper. She got her confused face on and said, "Um, that is NOT the same as MY pump, is it?" Um, no, no it is not. :) 


I had to take Piper to her pediatrician appointment this afternoon and Raya had to come with us because there was nobody home to watch her. As I was getting Piper undressed, Raya said, "Mommy, are they gonna put something in her bum?" Since the medical assistant was standing right there, I figured I'd better clarify for her that Raya was referring to when she went to the urgent care and had to get cathed for a clean catch urine specimen. I told her that nobody was sticking anything in the baby's bum, we just needed to take off her clothes so we could see how much she weighed. Bless that girl's heart, I wish she didn't know what any of that was!

At the end of the appointment, another MA was doing the heel stick for the second newborn screen. Raya watched intently and jabbered away at the lady, telling her all about when SHE got poked at the hospital and got "surprises" because the ladies poked her arm lots of times (points to inner elbow). At first the lady was trying to reassure Raya that even though she was going to poke baby sister's foot and that baby sister would probably cry, it wouldn't hurt her very much and she'd be okay. I'm pretty sure Raya was listening to her and thinking, "Duh, lady! It's just one tiny little poke!" 


It's a very different experience for both Raya and me to go to a doctor's office and not have it be for Raya. It's also really weird to have the doctor say that the baby looks great, is gaining weight like she should be, and they'll see us again in 2-3 weeks. I haven't heard a doctor say that since baby #2 in 2004. She lost 9 ounces by the time we went home from the hospital and has already gained 4 back. That's pretty freakin amazing for one of our kids. He asked if I had any questions or concerns so I pulled out my list. Ha ha. I started with the feeding difficulties. Miss P has her own set of issues in that department. She gulps and swallows a LOT of air, won't latch on anymore, aspirates, and the amount that's coming back up keeps increasing. We've made progress with the air swallowing by feeding her breast milk from a bottle with a slow flow nipple. She still does it, just not quite as much. What it comes down to is that she hasn't quite gotten the suck-swallow-breathe coordination down yet and needs to be slowed down when she eats. My plan is to give her a little more time to figure things out before we try breastfeeding again. I'm definitely not giving up on her yet. It took her oldest sister a whole month to figure it out so when she's ready, she'll get there. 

The appointment went well and I think this new ped will be a good fit for us. He spent a good amount of time examining the things that I asked about (i.e. possible tongue tie and...um...crooked bum) and told me that he didn't think there was any cause for concern with either thing. I think he also tried to make me feel like it would be okay if I didn't want to try breastfeeding again or wasn't successful at it. I have no intention of switching to formula unless we run into severe food allergy/protein sensitivity issues and/or poor weight gain issues again, but I appreciated his tone about the subject. 

In other news, Gram E left this morning to go home. We're sad that she couldn't stay longer. Raya was having a really rough night last night and ended up snuggling in bed with Gram E instead of her own bed or the couch. We will miss her. 


Thankfully we have another grandma that only lives an hour away so she's coming tonight to stay for a couple of days and help out! We could survive without help but for the sake of my sanity and the kids, we're very glad they were willing & able to help.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of little Piper!!!!! She's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...