Skip to main content

Pot, meet Kettle

 Oh, this child. She is quite a piece of work, let me tell you. The things that have been coming out of her mouth lately have left us speechless on many occasions. All of a sudden, she is the grammar police. Half of her sentences start with things like, "By the way..." and "Um, Mommy, didn't you know..." Neither of those things have nearly the impact in print that they do when they roll off the tongue of a sassy little redhead. Of course all of this is to be expected from a child who insists on sleeping in kitty cat ears, right?

She has been pretty funny with her baby sister. People keep asking me what Raya thinks of her and if she likes her. Truth be told, Raya does like her, but she doesn't have a whole lot of time to give her attention because she's so busy with all of the important things that 4 year olds do, like blowing bubbles, watching the same 3 episodes of Jake and the Neverland Pirates for the millionth time each, and playing with toys. 

Every now and then she asks me if she can feed her a bottle. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds before she looks at me and says, "Um, Mommy, my hand is just getting too tired. Can you feed her the rest?" 

On Sunday afternoon, Raya happened to be standing next to me and saw Piper spit up. It was a NORMAL sized baby spit-up. MAYYYYYYBE a teaspoon or less, and it all landed on a burp rag. A look of disgust came over Raya's face and she said, "Eew!! Mommy, she puked!" I was speechless. Completely without words for the child who made 18 months of my life a vomit bath. I now regret not having taken pictures of the many, many, MANY vomit messes she made or videos of her puking just so that she could have seen how gross REAL puke is. I laughed and told her that she was the pot calling the kettle black. Of course that only confused her and she told me not to call her that. I told her that Piper just had a little spit-up, not puke, and that puke is what SHE used to do all the time. Then I told her the story about the day when she was about 7 or 8 months old and I turned around after hearing her vomit and saw that she had grabbed a burp rag and was smearing it around in the puddle on the kitchen floor in what I could only assume was an attempt to clean up after herself. I knew back then that she would be a smart little cookie if she was already learning to clean up her own puke by mimicking what she saw the rest of us do several times a day.


It has been a lot of fun having a newborn in the house again. It might be a smidge more fun once she learns to latch on so that I can stop pumping, but I'm SO not complaining because I'm thrilled to pieces that she is willing & able to drink from a bottle, albeit slowly and with a lot of stopping to clear the milk from her airway. We will take whatever successes we can get when it comes to feeding these baby girls of ours! I have been ignoring & neglecting pretty much everything that doesn't absolutely HAVE to be done because this little girl won't stay a newborn very long and I'm going to soak up every second of her that I can. Even if it means that I'm a zombie.
As much as I hate to admit it, I probably am as tired as I look in the picture. It's worth it though. :) 

Comments

  1. Loved this post! Good for you to soak up the newborn moments. I did that with Emily and I'm so glad I did because I vividly remember her newborn days but the rest of her babyhood is a blur in my memory. I plan to do the same with this baby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …