*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*


**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Our most eventful GI visit yet

Raya was supposed to have a GI follow-up on February 3rd but decided to get hospitalized instead so she could get out of it. (really I'm sure she would have preferred the 1 hour GI visit) We had to reschedule it but couldn't get in before baby sister was born so we had to wait until yesterday. I'm SO glad I scheduled it in the afternoon because I really haven't seen the hours between 9-noon since the baby was born. I just plain can't stay awake then and having a newborn gives me an excuse to sleep so I sleep. :) While I slept yesterday morning, Donny took Raya to her OT & feeding therapy appointments. I love that she gets therapy and I love her therapists but I was ready for a break. :)

Anyway, I figured that since Donny was off of work, it would be a good idea if he came with us since he's never really been able to go to GI appointments. Not to mention that 12 days post-baby, I wasn't sure how much I'd feel like wrestling Raya all by myself. She gets a little bit rowdy at these appointments because of her anxiety (and boredom) so we packed up the 2 little girls and headed to the appointment. As I was getting Raya out of her car seat, the pump tubing got caught on the same stupid little thing it always gets caught on but for whatever reason, this time it just yanked her G tube right out of her stomach. Followed by a gushing stream of baked potato that was left over from her feeding therapy appointment. Awesome. And of course this was the ONE day that I hadn't been able to find her emergency kit to toss it in the diaper bag on the way out the door. I even thought to myself, Oh, it will be fine, we won't need it. HA. That's what I get. 

I found a paper towel in the car and wiped the potato off her belly and then she and I hurried as fast as my aching body could go into the office. Normally we have to use the automated check-in kiosk to check in for appointments rather than go to the front desk but this time I walked right up to the guy at the front desk and asked him to call the nurse and ask her if she could find us a syringe to put the tube back in with. THEN I checked in on the little automated kiosk. Our favorite medical assistant (well, one of them, anyway) took us back to a room and I laid Raya on the table/bed thing. I heard the nurse coming and when she walked in, she said, "Oh, Raya, it's you!" Of course then Raya had to tell her that Mommy accidentally made her tubie come out in the car. 

Any other time & place, putting the tube back in is totally not a big deal for Raya. Sometimes she gets a little defensive but when we're at home, it's totally not a big deal. However, all the way to the doctor's office I had been telling her that no, they weren't going to do anything painful to her at this doctor's appointment and that it was just her GI doctor, etc. She hasn't recovered mentally from her trip to urgent care and the hospital earlier this month so going to the same building that the urgent care is in and then having to get her tube put back in at an actual doctor's office was a little more than she could handle. It took 2 other people to hold her still for me while I put the tube back in and she screamed and cried. Super fun. Lucky for her, everyone at that office loves her and once we were done, they took her to the "secret prize drawer" and let her pick out not one but TWO toys, AND they gave her a Dum-Dum. It's time for everyone to stop giving her prizes for a while because now she expects them from everyone that she thinks is a doctor.

Once that whole ordeal was over, she bounced off the walls in the exam room for a while (which gave Daddy an opportunity to see why Mommy is usually pretty tired when we get home from these appointments) and then the doctor came in. As far as actual GI visits go, this was pretty uneventful, as in we didn't make changes to anything except lowering the dose of one med from 3x/day to twice a day. Well, really we just made the change official since I've been forgetting to give it to her the 3rd time so she's pretty much been on the 2x/day dose anyway.

The bad news that I completely anticipated was that she lost weight. Not much, but she did lose weight. I think she went from 15.2kg to 15.0kg. I knew that she had probably lost weight based on how sick she was at the beginning of the month and how long it took her to get back to feeling like her usual self and start eating again so it wasn't a surprise and I'm not worried about it. Because of the weight loss, we're going to do a weight check in a month just to make sure she's back on track. If she is, then we'll carry on with business as usual but if she's not, we'll make some changes.

That was pretty much it. If it hadn't been for all the excitement of the tube getting pulled out, it would have been a very dull appointment. :)


  1. Does your GI check weight clothed or unclothed? Our GI only does clothed checks (even though clothing can vary and an ounce is a big deal to our little guy) because of his age. After your second birthday, you wear clothes. It's never made much sense to me.

  2. Our weight checks with GI are always without clothing or diapers. Now that she's older she wears a hospital gown when she gets weighed but nothing else.


All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...