Skip to main content

We were having such a good day...

Raya had a pretty dang awesome day today. She wanted food for breakfast so I decided to let her have eggs. She ate one whole egg, which is about 100 calories, which is FABULOUS. The best part was that she was really happy about eating breakfast, which gives me hope that someday I'll be able to get her to eat a decent amount of food before school.

She's been clearing her throat a lot, which is probably a combo of having a teensy bit of a runny nose left over from last week's preschool-acquired virus and reflux. She played happily most of the morning while I got some things done and then it was time to plug her in. (that's what she calls it when we connect her to the pump for formula) She had come in a few minutes earlier and said that her stomach hurt and asked for Tums, so she ate a hot pink Tums, which I forgot about until I started draining her stomach to see what was left of the eggs. I realize the picture I'm about to post is totally disgusting but imagine my shock when I draw back on the syringe expecting to get yellow egg goo and what comes out is hot pink.

Once we got the pump going, she decided that she wanted to put panties on. She had found a pair of training pants in her drawer last night and wore them around for a while last night, but I had no idea where they were. I asked her if she wanted to go to the store and buy some new panties and of course she was thrilled with that idea. :) We loaded up the two Tubie Friends that needed to be mailed and dropped them off at the post office on our way to the store.

Raya was cracking me up when we were looking at the underwear. For some reason, she kept talking about buying socks. I kept correcting her and saying we were there to pick out panties, but she was eye level with a bunch of socks and that's where her little mind stayed. We got some of the thick training pants and I let her pick out some pretty ones too. She picked ponies, which was not surprising at all, and was SO happy!
Someday she'll probably be mad at me for putting that picture on here but at least I have the restraint to not put a picture of her wearing all 6 pairs of underwear at the same time after we got home.

She actually did pretty darn good today too. She sat on the potty at least a dozen times and had one good...void. She could not WAIT for the big kids to get home from school so they could see her pretty new panties! After they got home, she went potty in the toilet and got to have Smarties. That wasn't enough for her though, she wanted to give all the other kids Smarties too so they could all celebrate together. :) She ran from room to room to give everybody a package of Smarties and tell them (very loudly) that everybody got to have Smarties because she peed in the potty! She also saved a package to give to Daddy when he got home from work. I ♥ her! She wore her panties from about 2:00 until just after 7:00 and only peed her pants once, right at 7:00. When I was changing her clothes, she said that the skin on her legs hurt. Some darling children who will remain unnamed gave her fries yesterday morning that had a seasoned coating on them with rice flour in it, so she's started to break out in a little rash on her back right where the diaper touches. (sounds odd but that's her typical reaction to eating rice, along with diarrhea & burned-looking skin...) Right then, I noticed that her eyes looked kind of watery and funny so I felt her head, and she most definitely had a fever. I don't know if it's another preschool virus or something else but SHEESH, she was having such a great day! My new goal for the school year is to make it for one whole week without the school nurse needing to call me and without Raya getting sick. (I wonder if we can put that goal in her IEP...) I took her temperature and it was 102.8. Of course her pump had JUST finished feeding her 250ml of formula with Duocal in it so now I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't puke that up, but I don't want to drain it all out because that's lost fluid & calories. We'll be running Pedialyte tonight and having a slumber party in the living room.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …