INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Saturday, July 20, 2013

Applesauce

Another week has come and gone and summer break is slowly winding down. The first time I ever saw that Office Max commercial (or is it Staples??) with the parents doing the back-to-school shopping while the song "It's the most wonderful time of the year" plays in the background, I thought it was kind of mean. I get it now. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I love having them home and I love not having to get up and get everybody ready for school in the morning, but yeah, I get it.

Therapy appointments are a little harder when everybody has to tag along. For Raya's OT appointment on Tuesday, she went back with her therapist by herself and the rest of us sat in the waiting room until she was done. It wasn't pleasant thanks to one darling but crabby child. For feeding therapy, I can't stay in the waiting room so all the kids got to come to the teeny tiny little feeding room with us. In the hustle and bustle of getting everybody ready and out the door on time, I walked off without Raya's food for her appointment. Thankfully, the clinic has a cupboard full of applesauce and so we decided that Raya could add apples for her new food this week.

I'm really not sure that she has ever had applesauce before. I vaguely remember trying it with her but if I remember correctly, she didn't like the feel of the texture in her mouth and refused to eat it so we had to switch to stage 2 baby food purees because they're smoother. That was probably at least a year ago, so it was a good time to give it another go. She insisted on opening it herself, which she wasn't really able to do but if you ask her, she'll probably say she did it by herself. :)

I didn't have my expectations very high for the applesauce (because it wasn't a tortilla chip, haha) but she did great! She made yuck faces for the first few bites but she still kept eating and didn't spit anything out.
When she slowed down, we had her eat another bite and then she got to play a little bit of a game on the iPad. She kept eating slowly but steadily in between playing games for a minute or two at a time until she had finished the whole cup of applesauce.

Yay! :) So far, we haven't seen any adverse effects from the applesauce and hopefully she will want to eat it again. As of today, she's not at all interested in it. Apples are another really versatile food so it would be great to have that as one of her safe foods, at least to use in baking.

She's had kind of an off week in a lot of ways this week. She's been having some stomach pain and I'm really not sure why. Yesterday morning I asked her how her stomach felt. She said, "Well, it hurts a little. Not a lot, just a little bit. Can I have a pink Tum?" I asked her if her stomach hurt enough to have minty Maalox instead, and she said yes. She hasn't been sleeping as well this week and her energy levels aren't quite what they normally are. Nothing extreme but just a little off. We haven't heard anything back from the doctor's office about rescheduling the botox injections yet so no news there.



1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the applesauce! I hope she does OK. That's one of Damien's few foods, and he will happily eat his weight in it - he loves the Go Go Squeeze pouches. He is switching gears from feeding to speech therapy, keeping the same therapist, and she already told me to pack him some applesauce to use for bribes...erm...rewards.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...