INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mommy's on vacation

That's right, Mommy is on vacation. Last week was a hectic and stressful week but we survived it and I managed to finish my anatomy class with a comfortable A. Yay. Once I was done with that, we celebrated Donny's birthday a day or two early because on his actual birthday, he got to take me to the airport at 4:00 in the morning so I could catch my 6:00 flight. Which ended up leaving shortly before 9:00. And that was after I got to experience the TSA's full body scanner for the first time, followed by a pat-down. Not a full pat-down though, only my head. She squeezed my bun and then said I could go. It was a fun thing to do at 4:30 on a Monday morning. Not as fun as sitting at the gate for an hour, boarding the plane, sitting on the plane for another 90 minutes or so, getting back off the plane to try and rebook the connecting flight I was surely going to miss in Chicago because of the mechanical delay, getting back on the plane because there was no other open flight to Chicago, sitting in the plane for another half hour, and then finally taking off. The best thing that came out of that mess was that they gave everyone free DirecTV for the flight to make up for the hassle. By some miracle, the flight from Chicago to Boston ended up being delayed as well so rather than missing my connecting flight by an hour, I actually had to wait in line for half an hour. The gate happened to be right next to a swanky wine bar and a guy was playing a grand piano about 5 feet away from me. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos You can't see it in the picture but the guy was playing "Anticipation" on the piano. Great sense of humor playing that song for a gate full of people that have been waiting over an hour for their delayed flight. He followed it with a jazzy rendition of "Leavin on a Jet Plane," which I also found hilarious in spite of the cliche. I felt like we flew forEVER. I had to catch a shuttle bus to Hyannis when I landed in Boston but we ended up landing about half an hour late because we had to make a huge circle to avoid weather so I thought for sure that I'd be stuck in Boston for the night. Someone had mercy on me because the bus was running late too so I made it. Then I felt like I was on the bus forever too because you can't see ANYTHING from the freeways here. It's just a solid wall of trees. Totally not used to that. Two of my wonderful colleagues from Feeding Tube Awareness met me at the bus stop with a cab to go to the hotel. After a very long day of traveling, I finally made it to the hotel just after 9pm eastern time, so it had been about a 15 hour day at that point. I thought for sure I'd sleep until noon today nut I was wide awake at 7, which is 4:00 at home. And why am I in Hyannis, Massachusetts, of all places? I'm here with some of the Feeding Tube Awareness staff to attend the Oley Foundation's annual conference. If you're not familiar with Oley and have a child or family member on tube feeds or TPN or use any of those things yourself, you need to visit their website (www.oley.org) and explore it. They are a wonderful resource, especially for adults with feeding tubes or TPN. We are very excited to be attending the conference and representing FTA and supporting Oley. The conference doesn't start until tomorrow so we had a clear schedule today and 3 of the 4 of us left the kids at home. We got some work done and spent some time lounging in the hot tub (because Arizona has ruined me for swimming in cold pools unless it's above 105 outside). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos We also had dinner with a gentleman we met at a conference earlier this year whose late wife was one of the first people on TPN at home and lived an incredibly full life thanks to the TPN. Their story is inspirational and there will be a blog post forthcoming about their book sometime after I get home. Dinner was FABULOUS! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos If you've never met the FTA staff before, here we are: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos (Clockwise from top left: Laura, Traci, me, and Stephanie. Not pictured and dearly missed: Susan, Hillary, and Kelly) Ha ha. :) Tomorrow maybe we'll be feeling less haggard and get an actual picture of ourselves. I have to give a huge shout out to my super-husband for completely supporting my little vacation/girls' trip by voluntarily taking the week off of work to stay home with the kids. They seem to be having a good time so far and he's kept up with the calendar of events. Don't know what I'd do without him! I miss my little darlings but they're in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...