INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Friday, June 14, 2013

Great day at feeding therapy

Raya had a lovely day at feeding therapy today. She was pretty hungry by the time we got there so she got to practice her patience skills by waiting until we went back to the feeding therapy room before she got to have her food. Today's menu was corn kernels, grapes, Splash, and tortilla chips for dessert. I gave her a grape with the skin on but cut it in half first so it would be easier to eat. It helped but not quite enough and she ended up having to spit the skins out. I peeled a grape to see if that would help and it made a huge difference. She took several little nibbles and had no trouble chewing and swallowing the grape halves. Then I gave her some corn. She had one bite but she was trying to chew it between her front teeth and it didn't work very well for her. She held one out and wanted me to peel the corn for her. Nice try, kiddo, but I will not be peeling any corn for you. :) She did well with the corn but still needs work at chewing, moving the food to the back of her mouth to swallow it, and the size of the bites she takes. It may sound funny but if she takes too small of a bite, it's harder for her to move it around in her mouth and swallow it. She ate about a tablespoon of corn and then had 4 small grapes that I peeled and cut in half. She was tired and easily distracted so I had to ask her more than once to please stop trying to stack the grapes on top of each other and eat them.

Eventually she did, and then she finished the other tablespoon of corn. She also drank about half a box of Splash and had two tortilla chips after she finished everything else. Most days, she spends about 20 minutes of her therapy session eating but today, it took her 45. She played games on her therapist's iPad and was happy the whole time.

I've made no secret of the fact that feeding therapy is difficult for me. We've been blessed with wonderful therapists and Raya has made a lot of progress, it's just hard as a mother to need help teaching your FOURTH child to eat. Today's session was good aside from the first few minutes when I had to bite my tongue a lot. The topics of where Raya sleeps and potty training came up. I don't like being told how I should be dealing with those things. The sleep issue is something we are working on as best we can. Potty training is the same deal. We actually ARE in the beginning stages of potty training but again, it will happen when it happens and it's not really relevant to feeding therapy so those little discussions bother me. I know it comes with good intention and I can understand how a lot of people feel justified in giving me advice, but this is not my first rodeo and they dont see the whole picture. None of it's not worth me getting argumentative over though so I do my best to smile and nod my way through it and move on.

Aside from that, today's session was good. It's nice to see Raya enjoying food again and although it makes me a little sad to watch her struggle to chew and swallow a few kernels of corn and realize how far we still have to go, I love seeing her work at it. Since she's doing fine with the corn and grapes, we'll most likely be adding in another food this weekend. It's going to be another exciting one! :) This evening, Donny took the three big kids to karate class and Raya and I stayed home so I could study for my anatomy lab practical (which I later took and got 100% on, by the way :). She was chattering away while she played with her little plastic horses, Cinderella, and a cup of water.  photo IMAG2959_zps35aba8ac.jpg
One of these days I'll get a video. She makes us laugh every time her toys start talking to each other. Lately she's also been launching into these long explanations of things that make my head spin a little and I want to get a video of that too. It's hard when she knows she's being recorded. (That's why there are no pictures from therapy today, I was trying not to distract her.) Her favorite things to say right now are, "Really, Mommy?? REALLY???" "That's ridic-lee-ous." And "I love you, Mommy!" which I never get tired of hearing. :) She also likes to practice saying big words or words that are hard for her to say. This evening I heard her practicing saying Aunt Joanne's name and then after she said it a few times, she said, "Really, Aunt Joanne?? REALLY???" That one made me laugh. Sometimes I forget that she's the only one home because she talks so much. As hard as some of her issues can be to deal with at times, she is such a sweetheart and I love everything about her.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that things went well for you on this day. Corn is a difficult food to form into a bolus so I understand her difficulty here-yes, I'm a feeding therapist. ;) As for the potty training etc..I agree w/you on not liking people telling me how to deal w/things-did you ask him/her what potty training had to do with feeding therapy? From a therapist's perspective, I can see why they might have this discussion with you. I do with my own clients, from time to time, as elimination has a LOT to do with feeding and many times, feeding issues. If it wasn't a parallel to their treatment, then I'd share your frustration with them. Continued successes!!!!! ~Jennifer MHS,ccc/slp

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...