INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happiest girl in the universe!


Raya is pretty much the happiest girl in the universe right now. At her GI appointment 2 weeks ago, we made changes to her medications and her doctor said that after the med changes were done, we could start a single ingredient food and see how she does with it. For several reasons, corn is the most logical choice for her so that's where we're starting. {if you are anti-corn, anti-Monsanto, anti-GMO, etc., please refrain from commenting} Today, the last of the changes have been made so it's time to start letting her eat. The big kids went to a movie with friends this morning (because Donny's car is still in the shop so he's driving mine this week) and Raya and I decided to go for a walk. I realized last night that we don't actually have anything in the house that Raya can have so we walked to the nearest store and got her some tortilla chips, corn tortillas, and corn cereal. It was about 2 miles round trip, so that took care of my exercise goal for the day. It's only about 85 degrees outside so it wasn't miserably hot while we walked. Raya loves riding in the stroller. She hasn't had a ton of energy lately and I'm not sure what that's all about but she was happy as could be to go for a long ride in the stroller. 

When we got to the store, I told her that we were looking for corn chips and corn cereal because Dr. S said she could try them to see if it makes her tummy hurt or not. We found some things that didn't have any other ingredients, paid for them, and went outside to walk home. She was so beyond excited that I didn't want to make her wait until we got home. I opened the bag of chips and let her have one. If you want to know what pure joy looks like, this is it:

She has never been more excited to eat something than she was when I handed her the chip. She ate 3 during the walk home in between sips of Splash. When we got home, I let her have a couple more. The term "food trial" usually applies to people with eosinophilic disorders or other similar conditions trying a single ingredient food to see if it causes any reactions. For us it's a little bit different because there won't be any endoscopy at the end of a 6 week period since no eosinophils have ever been found in her GI tract. Our objectives are to watch for any delayed allergic reactions and primarily to see how her stomach does with solid food, since delayed gastric emptying was one of the main reasons we stopped letting her eat food 4 months ago. I'll be checking her stomach for residuals every few hours after she eats solid food to see whether or not it's moving through like it should. I'm already kicking myself for not buying the blue corn tortilla chips because that would have made it easier to tell the difference between the chips and the formula. :)
 The problem now is going to be limiting her intake so she doesn't gorge herself on chips and dry cereal. She's pretty excited about her cereal too:

I was going to get Kix but the store only had this gorilla stuff so that's what we got. It's a big hit so far. I gave her half a serving of the chips and half a serving of the cereal, and I forgot how slowly she eats. The fact that it takes her about 8 bites to eat one Smartie should have been a clue, I suppose.

I'd be lying if I said that I expect things to go smoothly and for corn to be a total pass, but for today, I'm choosing to just focus on how happy she is to be eating actual food again.

2 comments:

  1. Hearing this makes me very happy! Yay, Raya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Raya! You can disregard the GMO comment on FB, I guess you've already been over that!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...