Skip to main content

My formal apology to Target and a 101st birthday

This morning, the girls and I were at the store picking out a birthday present for their cousin. Raya was in the big part of the cart and Kaida was walking. We went in and I parked the cart next to a rack of clothes while Kaida picked out what she wanted to get for her cousin. Once she had decided, we started walking towards another part of the store looking for some other things we needed. When I started walking, I took a step and felt my shoe slide a little bit. I looked down and saw that I had stepped in a small puddle of water. It seemed a little odd but I kept going. Then I stepped in another wet spot. I looked behind me and I could see the light shining off of a whole trail of water spots. I thought to myself, "Hmmm...looks like someone had something leaky in their cart." Just then, a Target employee was walking by so I mentioned to him that it looked like something had spilled on the floor, and we went on our way.

We found a giant bag of Dum-Dums, which Raya was excited about, and a bag of JUST Smarties. No other candy, just Smarties. I was pretty happy about that. After we were finished, we headed back up to the front of the store to pay. When we went past the clothing section, there were 3 guys standing there and big orange cones marking off the area with the spilled water. We paid and left the store. As I was picking Raya up out of the cart to put her in her carseat, I noticed that the leg of her jeans was soaked. About 3 seconds later, I realized that IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII was the one that left the trail of wetness all over Target. I was the one that was walking around with something leaky in my cart, and it was RAYA. Normally, she would have been plugged in to the pump at that time of day, but this morning she had actually finished almost all of a box of Splash, so I didn't plug her in since her stomach was full. Then we went to Target and somehow her extension tube came unclamped, and we EMPTIED her stomach all over the store. Oops. Oh yes, in a team effort, Raya and I effectively contaminated pretty much every main aisle of the store with whatever was in her stomach and didn't even realize we were doing it. Of course when I asked her if she knew that her pants were getting wet, she said yes. Could she tell me they were getting wet while we were still in the store?? No.

To the maintenance guys at Target, please forgive us for leaving a trail of partially digested tropical flavored Neocate Splash in all of the main walkways of your store. A special apology to the employee that I mentioned the puddles to, since I did not realize at the time that I was the one who had left them. Had she been drinking chocolate Neocate instead, I most definitely would have recognized the odor of the drippings immediately but apparently, tropical flavored Splash is not as strongly scented once it's been in the stomach for an hour or so. I hope it didn't eat the finish off of the linoleum.

Sincerely, me & Raya.


In other news, the kids had a lovely time this afternoon having a water fight in the back yard. Alternate use #273 for 60ml syringes: squirt guns!

They played for about half an hour and then I noticed that Raya was leaning on a chair on the porch instead of playing. I walked by several minutes later and she was still standing in the same awkward position with her knee on the chair and staring at her foot, so I asked her if she was done playing outside. Without even looking at me (since she was too focused in on staring at her foot), she said, "My foot is dirty. I can't move. I can't walk on it." So apparently girlfriend still has issues with grass sticking to her feet. (thank you, sensory processing disorder)
She didn't move a muscle until I had cleaned every bit of grass off of her foot and dried both feet off. After that, she was done and came inside to warm up. It was about 83 outside, which is nice, but they were playing with freezing cold hose water so she was freezing and her lips were blue. The other kids stayed outside for about 2 1/2 hours so they got totally fried (way to go, Mom, let the white kids fry) but they had a great time. Yay for syringes! :)

And last but certainly not least, tomorrow is Raya's great-grandpa's 101st birthday!
(She was not happy that I pulled her away from the toys to come have her picture taken.) There was a little family get-together at the wonderful home where he lives now. ("little" meaning that there were only about 45 members of the family there out of the 140-something) He got to have his favorite dessert (homemade lemon meringue pie) and Mexican food for dinner so he was pretty happy. In a roundabout way, Raya is named after him. Her daddy's middle name is Ray after his grandpa, and that's where we got her name from. :)

Raya was funny during dinner. She was sitting on her grandma's lap chattering away with her grandparents, and Grandpa started eating his pie & ice cream for dessert. He said something about ice cream and she said, "Well, I'm ALLERGIC to ice cream...but I can eat PUDDING!" One of her favorite things to do now is list things she's allergic to. Kind of funny to hear from the mouth of a 3 year old. :) Of course the real funny (but sad but funny) part was when we were all having a nice time eating dinner and talking to each other, and a sweet but not very lucid elderly gentleman at another table suddenly shouted a bit of profanity (bless his heart). Given the setting & circumstances, it was not something we were expecting to hear so it struck us all as pretty darn hilarious. Grandpa had been snoozing away in his recliner but that woke him up and then he was ready for the party. As funny as some of our feeding tube-related stories are, I can only imagine what stories the people who run this wonderful little retirement home could tell!

Aside from Raya waking up right when I wanted to go to bed and crying for half an hour with no acknowledgement of anything I was doing or saying to try and get her to stop, it was a pretty great day. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …