INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Saturday, February 23, 2013

More alternative uses for medical supplies

It's time for another installment of alternative uses for medical supplies, by Raya and siblings. (some authorized by Mom, and some NOT authorized by Mom)

Some of our previous alternative uses included:
"A" pancakes made with a 60ml cath tip syringe to celebrate Ashtyn's birthday last March
Fixed my favorite snowman with Medipore (because home health sent it by mistake and I have no real use for it)
Cases of Peptamen as a computer chair
Many, many cases of Peptamen and Pedialyte used in conjunction with towels on top of and underneath the rug to soak up the large puddle of apple juice that a child took out of the fridge without permission and drank in the living room, which is off limits to food & drinks, and then spilled alllllllllll over the rug.
Donny labeling his students' belts with Micropore for the belt promotion ceremony, which I did not know about until I got there
Last minute labeling of Christmas stockings with Micropore
Children using Micropore to tape notes on each other's bedroom doors. Not authorized.
Even Grandma is using medical tape to label things. My dad took a roll home with him when they visited last month and Mom used it to label the kids' Valentines. They noticed right away that she has used medical tape and thought it was really cool. :)


I'm sure there have been others but those are the ones I can think of right now. Which brings us to the recent ones. This morning, I slept in and I heard the kids making all kinds of noise in the living room. It wasn't the usual noise but sounded like their super-cheesy "let's do teamwork" kind of noise. I walked into the living room and they had built a "stage" out of boxes of medical supplies so they could do performances to their Disney station on Pandora.

They had a great time singing & dancing. Of course Raya just wanted to use the stage as something to jump off of. Oh, and speaking of singing, check out Kaida's microphone:
Yep, that would be a carton of Peptamen Jr. They're so resourceful.

After I had them clean up their stage, I went outside to start digging up the ground to plant a garden. I came back in a few minutes later and they had built a fort in the living room, also out of boxes of medical supplies:
I'm glad that they're so easily entertained and have such good imaginations. We did have a discussion about not dropping {or stacking & knocking over} cases of Peptamen Jr tetra paks though. It's a disaster waiting to happen if those things get damaged.

I spent most of the day today outside in the beautiful weather getting the ground ready and planting a garden. The girls helped me by pulling weeds while I turned over the rock hard dirt and spread good soil over it. They all get really excited about growing a garden since we've done it a few times now, so they all wanted to help plant something. Turns out that planting a garden is great OT. Raya got some good fine motor exercise in by picking up bean and beet seeds out of my hand to put into the holes I poked for her, and some good sensory work with touching the different textures and getting her hands dirty. We may end up with random plants scattered in various places because she got a little carried away at times, but she had fun.

After everything was in the ground (except for the giant patch in the middle that I haven't figured out what to plant in yet) it was time to get the soaker hoses spread across the garden. To my dismay, someone had broken one of the hoses.
Bummer. I really needed both of them and didn't want to make another trip to the store to buy either a new hose or the supplies to fix the broken one, so I put my Mom-Gyver medical supply skills to the test. Who needs a hose repair kit when you have Hypafix and packing tape anyway.
BAM. Fixed it. Luckily, being a soaker hose, it's SUPPOSED to be leaky so it's totally okay if it doesn't hold perfectly. I just needed it to be put back together so I could cap the end of it and put it to work. So far, my patch job seems like it will work out even if I have to replace it sometime down the road.
And there it is. Hopefully everything I planted will grow and Raya will be able to eat fresh, homegrown salsa and tortilla chips sometime this summer. That would make both of us very happy. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...