Skip to main content

FTA Week 2013- Day 4

(A condensed version of today's post will be appearing on the "All Things Tubie" blog on the Feeding Tube Awareness website.)

We can all use a little help: Friends and Family

What can friends and family do to help or be more supportive? What would you like them to know about tube feeding?

Being told that your child needs a feeding tube is hard. Having to make decisions about whether or not to tube feed is hard. Managing the care of a medically complex child at home is hard. But one of the hardest aspects of having a tube fed child is being judged and criticized during a time when you are already feeling vulnerable, helpless, and perhaps even questioning your own judgment.

People are curious, and some of them were born without filters. Strangers sometimes say stupid things without thinking. There was a period of time when Raya had an NG tube and a cranial orthotic to correct her congenital plagiocephaly. A man once asked me, "Does she have that helmet because you dropped her on her head?" Really?! We learn to deal with comments like that, as all parents have to at some point. Even more difficult than thoughtless comments from strangers though, are thoughtless comments from friends and family, whether or not they are intended to be that way. Here are some things that you need to know if you have a friend or family member with a feeding tube:

1.     We are struggling to accept the tube ourselves. As such, we appreciate support in reaching a point of acceptance rather than reinforcement of the negative feelings towards the tube that we are trying hard to move past. Frequently being asked questions like, "When is he/she going to get rid of that tube?" and "Is he/she eating yet?" do not help. Understand that the tube is not the enemy, and it is not the worst thing that could happen to your loved one. If you have a loved one who has a feeding tube, learn to love their tube because without it, you may not have your loved one in your life anymore. This is a process in and of itself. We are over 3 years into feeding Raya with a tube, and I have felt myself reach new levels of acceptance along the way but it has only been within the past few months that I have really, truly accepted the reality that the tube will be a part of our life for years to come. I know that it has been a hard pill to swallow for me, and I'm the one who is the most heavily involved in the process, so I can only imagine that acceptance will be harder to come by for those close to us who do not get the same information and experience that I do.

2.     Learn to be comfortable with the feeding tube, even if you’re not. Don’t be afraid to hold or play with the child. Again, this can be a process. Raya is our fourth child, but once she got that NG tube, I felt like I was brand new at being a parent of a newborn. Holding her was awkward at first. I didn't want to mess anything up. When she got the G tube several months later, I was afraid I was going to hurt her. It was something that I had to get over very quickly as her mother. Don't let fear of the feeding tube hold you back from maintaining the relationship you want to have with the child. Caring for a child with medical complexities is stressful, and parents need a break every now and then, but finding babysitters is difficult. I can count on one hand the number of times I ever left Raya with anyone other than Donny during the 6 1/2 months that she had her NG tube. The first time, I left her with my best friend while I helped another friend pack, and within 15 minutes of me leaving her house, she called to tell me that the feeding pump was beeping and I had to have her turn it off until I came back. The other time, I left her for a couple hours with a friend who was a nurse in the emergency room of a local hospital. True to form, Raya managed to rid herself of her NG tube while I was gone and my friend was getting ready to put it back in just as I got back. Be willing to learn about the child’s medical conditions, how to care for the tube, how to administer feedings, and what to do in emergencies. If you’re not comfortable doing it alone, find another friend or family member to help you babysit. A couple of hours out of the house alone together can do wonders for the parents, even if they spend it at the grocery store.

3.     Please, please, please do not criticize the decisions we make in our children’s medical care. We are not doctors, and we are doing the best we can with the information we have. Nearly every parent of a child with a feeding tube has experienced a conversation that included something like, "Well, my coworker's cousin has a nephew with EXACTLY  the same problem as your baby and they did XYZ and it cured him." My daughter's own doctors have struggled to identify the causes of her digestive problems and she remains largely undiagnosed even after 3 years of testing her for everything under the sun. Many parents are in the same boat. If fixing the problem was as simple as giving the child some kind of herbal supplement or visiting a chiropractor, we would have done it a long time ago. In reality, your coworker has never seen her cousin's nephew's medical chart, nor has she seen my child's medical chart. She has no idea if their problems are "exactly the same," nor does she have any idea what treatment options have been tried or are even appropriate for my child's situation. Parents understand that the intentions are good, but really these types of suggestions are antagonizing at best. If you do not understand why we have decided to go ahead with a surgery, medication, or treatment option, use your very best manners and ask, but do it in the spirit of coming to understand the decision and not to argue with it. Criticism only makes us feel worse about an already difficult situation.

4.     Respect our wishes when it comes to the care of our children, no matter how silly the request may sound to you. I've heard stories from parents about family members giving their children food that they were allergic to simply because they thought the parents were exaggerating or that the allergies couldn't possibly be as serious as the parents claimed. Many children who are tube fed are unable to safely chew and swallow food, or swallow thin liquids without aspirating them into their lungs. I once had a dear friend who, despite my objection, put a small piece of popsicle in Raya's mouth. I had warned her that Raya would gag and vomit, and sure enough, she threw up all over my friend's kitchen counter. I didn't say, "I told you so," but I was thinking it. For the safety of the child, listen to what we tell you and don’t stray from it no matter what you think the outcome may be or how innocent your intentions are.

5.     Be patient with us. Our lives are in upheaval, and once we make it past the upheaval stage, we have a lot of upkeep to do. Most of us don’t get nearly enough sleep and are entirely overscheduled, so forgive us if we forget things or have to miss out on things. Don't stop inviting us. There were times when I was sleeping for less than 2 hours at a time well beyond the age when my other children were sleeping through the night. Raya slept, but I had to be up and down several times at night doing medications and starting or stopping feeds. I couldn't remember IF I had even eaten lunch that day, never mind what I actually ate. I know that I forgot important things and missed things that I wouldn't have otherwise missed. We had 130 medical appointments in the first year of Raya's life. We don’t have time for some of the things we used to have time for and getting out of the house can be difficult, but it doesn’t mean that we value relationships any less. If anything, it means more to us when we ARE able to get away for an hour to meet up for ice cream late in the evening or even just talk on the phone. I specifically remember going to a baby shower one night shortly after Raya had gotten her G tube. She was vomiting blood, I was struggling to keep up with the medication & feeding schedule she needed, I'd had a hard day, and I truly needed to get out of my house. While everyone else was talking and laughing, I sat there at the table thinking about my baby and her declining health and felt like crying most of the time that I was there, but I really needed to be out of the house and among friends with no discussion of anything medical for a while and was SO grateful to have been invited.

6.     There’s no need to feel sorry for us or tell us how amazing we are and that you don’t know how we do it. We are not doing anything that any other parent in our shoes wouldn’t do for their children, and we’re not doing it because we wanted to. We are doing what it takes to care for our children just like you are, only for us it includes a monthly shipment of medical supplies delivered to our door. I have a hard time with this one. I really appreciate the nice things people say to me in regards to being Raya's mom, but I know that the people who are saying those things love their children just as much as I love Raya. If the tables were turned, they would be doing everything I'm doing.

7.     If you really want to help, bring over a box of tissues and some chocolate and volunteer to mop up the latest puddle of vomit while we cry into a cup of hot cocoa and tell you all about it. Seriously. Some of us have had our social interactions reduced to people under the age of 5 and medical professionals. We need something in between. We don’t need you to fix anything for us, we just need someone to vent to who will still love us even though all we have to talk about is vomit and medical supplies.

The bottom line is that tube feeding is a learning process for everyone involved. It is difficult, and the support of family and friends is critical.


Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …