INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Sunday, January 6, 2013

Quinoa w/black beans and quinoa pancakes

Quinoa is becoming very popular in our house. It's one of the 5 foods Raya's allergist wanted us to try with her between visits to him, and so far she actually likes it. I've been trolling Pinterest this week to find more recipes to make for her since she suddenly seems to be interested in eating, and I've found LOTS of things we can try.

The first quinoa I got her to eat was a recipe I got from allrecipes.com. I made it because it sounded good and I thought I'd probably be able to get just about everybody to eat it. I made it again this week and even Kaida ate it! (that's our pass/fail indicator)

Here's the original recipe:

Ingredients
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
3/4C uncooked quinoa (rinsed well)
1 1/2 C vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
1 C frozen corn kernels
2 cans black beans (rinsed & drained)
1/2 C chopped cilantro
 
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion & garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in black beans and cilantro.
 
Okay, so I made some changes because I wanted people (especially Raya) to actually eat it. Several of us (myself included) do not like eating chunks of onion, so rather than chop it, I either grate it with a box grater or mince it up so tiny that it basically dissolves when it's cooked. I also omitted the garlic because I didn't have any and because it's easier to just toss in a little garlic powder. I also omitted the cayenne pepper this time and only used 1 can of beans. Two cans would be too much. When we eat it, we like to mix in sour cream (except for Raya) and we thought it would probably be really good with diced tomatoes added (except for me because I don't like them). We added some leftover shredded pork (which Raya actually likes) but it would also be good with ground beef or other shredded meats. Lots of possibilities with this recipe!
Unfortunately this is the best picture I got of it.
I had planned on taking the leftovers with us to feeding therapy on Friday but there ended up not being any leftovers. And we canceled therapy.
 
Moving on...
 
Quinoa pancakes! With an exclamation point! These were delicious. All 6 of us liked them. I got this recipe from a blog that I will be using a lot more recipes from in the near future. It's a recipe blog that a mom writes with recipes she creates for her daughter, who has a very restricted diet due to medical issues. It can be used as pancakes or crepes, either of which would be delicious. I like these. A lot. I ate 2 or 3 of them plain before I ever added any syrup.Here's the original recipe:
 
Quinoa Crepes/Pancakes (from www.fpiestreats.blogspot.com)
1/2 cup quinoa flour
2 tbs sugar
A dash salt
1 egg
2 tbs canola oil
1/2 cup water

Put a pan to warm on medium heat (b/w 4&5 on my stove). Grease with canola oil. In a bowl mix the sugar, flour and salt then add the egg, oil and water and whisk together . (I add a tsp of vanilla too but it's not essential if your little one isn't ok with it). The batter should be very thin. Add more water as necessary. Ladle like pancake batter, it's going to spread out very thinly. Let cook until small bubbles form all over the crepe, flip and let cook a little longer. Serve alone, with fruit, or maple syrup. If you make these without sugar you can use them as burrito type wraps.
**Note: the original recipe does not include baking powder because the child it was created for can't have baking powder. I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder and about 1/2 tsp vanilla. I'm not sure if the baking powder really did anything but the vanilla was a fabulous addition. Cinnamon would be too. If you or your child can't have eggs, you could easily substitute ground flaxseed+water for the egg, and any type of oil would work instead of canola.
 
I bought a 4 pound bag of quinoa at Costco for about $8, which is MUCH cheaper than I've found it anywhere else around here. The Costco stuff is also organic (if that matters to you) and it's prewashed so it doesn't have the bitter taste to it if you don't wash it first. All I did to make quinoa flour was put it in my Vitamix on high until it turned into flour. Freaking awesome. If I'd known it was that easy I probably would have done it sooner. 
 
One other note, the batter is very thin. As such, it's a little more messy than regular pancake batter. Not to worry though, once again, surplus feeding tube supplies came to the rescue:
Gosh I love syringes! You'd be amazed how useful they are in the kitchen.
 
Thank you SOOOOOO much, www.fpiestreats.blogspot.com, for expanding our pancake options so it's not just buckwheat all the time! :)

1 comment:

  1. So I have not followed what she can and can't eat, but we do a quinoa 'salad' in the summer that's fairly easy. We just cook quinoa and add green or red peppers chunked up, black olives (black beans would probably be tasty) and feta. Yum. I may have to go make some now, pregnancy hormones and all...

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...