Skip to main content

Preschool Thanksgiving

Since Raya's surgery got canceled (or, rather, never got scheduled) yesterday, she was able to go to school and have her little preschool Thanksgiving party. It was a little Thanksgiving feast. Her teacher sent home a paper last week with assignments of who needed to bring what but the teacher had written a note asking me to circle anything that Raya was allowed to eat and then send something with her that she could eat. Knowing how much food was involved made me nervous so I gladly checked the "I will be able to attend" box. :) I really wanted to see what she's like in the classroom anyway and figured that a class party where all the other kids are eating would be a great time to work on all of our feeding therapy skilllllllz.

When I walked into the classroom, there were 10 or 11 toddlers sitting around a table wearing the most elaborate construction paper turkey hats I've ever seen. They (the kids and the hats) were ADORABLE!!
Is that not the most adorable construction paper hat ever?!? I don't know which was more impressive, the fact that all the kids had made these elaborate hats (with a lot of help from the teacher & aide, I'm sure) or the fact that they were ALL wearing them AND sitting in their chairs. Preschool is just stinkin' cute.

One by one, they all took off their hats because they were "poky" and "scratchy" and "itchy". Then it was time for their feast. A lot of what they had was food that Raya can't eat but we found her some things she could have. I didn't think she WOULD eat some of it, but we put some banana slices, apple chunks, corn, non-dairy whipped topping (aka Cool Whip), and a slice of turkey.
The only thing I expected her to eat was the bananas and Cool Whip. I knew she wouldn't want the turkey or corn and thought there might be a chance at getting her to eat apple. Turns out if you let her mix corn in Cool Whip, she likes it. Go figure. It also helped that I gave her a Smartie after every couple of bites of corn, banana, or apple. She ended up eating a little bit of banana, 2 or 3 small chunks of apple, and about 2 teaspoons of corn. And 2 teaspoons of Cool Whip. She took a couple of tastes of turkey but spit it out rather rudely, so before I took the turkey off of her plate, she had to kiss it goodbye. One of those funny feeding therapy things. There were a couple of times when I could tell that she needed to take a drink so she didn't gag on her corn but SHE didn't realize that she needed to take a drink so I had to tell her. Those are the kinds of things that make me feel a little hesitant to send snacks with her that take effort for her to eat. Marshmallows are a piece of cake for her. She can eat them without any problems. Other things are a little tougher and unless someone is sitting right there with her coaching her through it, she either doesn't eat it or she has trouble eating it. If I knew someone was going to be helping her eat, I'd send more challenging snacks with her but for now I'm keeping it simple.
All of her little classmates finished their food in about 15-20 minutes. Raya spent about 35 minutes on her food and ate a fraction of what everybody else ate. I'm okay with that because she's actually EATING something, but I hope that she'll be able to pick up the pace a little bit in the next few months. After she finished eating, she cleared her plate from the table, had a little drink of water, and went to play with her classmates. More like parallel play with her classmates. There's still pretty much zero actual interaction. She did do a good job helping to clean up when it was time to clean up though. Someone turned on a song about cleaning up and all the kids except for 2 started cleaning up. It was fun to watch them. :) Here's Raya & her little friend putting away blocks:
Love it!

I should mention that when I dropped Raya off at preschool yesterday morning, it wasn't pretty. She was having a rough morning. It all started when she realized as we were getting in the car that I hadn't put a baggie of marshmallows in her backpack. She didn't NEED marshmallows because she was having food at school. It didn't matter to her though, she was upset and once she got upset, she couldn't calm herself down. When I got her out of the car, she was crying and clinging to me so when I signed her in, I literally had to peel her off my leg and hand her off to her teacher. I knew she'd probably calm down after a few minutes so I left.

When I came back a while later for the party, I could tell that she had cried for a while because she had white crusty gunk below her nose but she seemed pretty happy. During the party, another mom was talking to the teacher about her little boy (who is the CUTEST little guy!) being like a baby koala and how you don't even have to hold on to him because he clings to you when you pick him up. I laughed and said Raya was the total opposite and that picking her up is like picking up a brick that wiggles. The teacher said she had learned that after I left because she'd had to hold Raya for a while since Raya kept freaking out when the teacher would try to put her on the ground. I know this sounds terrible but I was SO glad to hear that! Someone else is FINALLY seeing what she can be like!

During the party, she was pretty happy. When it was time to leave, she was still happy but she was really wound up. Since I had parked and come into the school, we had to walk back to the parking lot instead of just the driveway like we usually do, and that meant she needed to hold my hand or let me carry her. She didn't want to do either of those things. I couldn't help but laugh because while all of the other little preschool kids were calmly holding their parents' hands while walking to their cars, Raya was trying to get away from me and then kicking, screaming, and yelling at me while trying to wiggle out of my arms as I tried to walk as quickly as I could to the car so I didn't drop her. All I kept thinking was, yep, she definitely needs preschool. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …