Skip to main content

Halloween!

We had a Halloween party at church on Friday night. It was Donny's night to work late so the kids and I went to the party. Somehow I managed to only take 1 picture the whole evening and it was Raya with her kitty costume on. Really, it was just a headband with ears and some "whispers" on her cheeks, but it was good enough for her. She was a pretty cute kitty if I don't say so myself. :)

 
I'm very picky about chili so I volunteered to bring some because that way I knew I'd like it and that my kids would eat it, and that it wouldn't have anything in it that Raya couldn't have. She loved the chili and ate quite a few beans. She wouldn't eat any of the sauce or the hamburger but she likes whole beans. She was getting a feed most of the time that we were at the party so she was stuck in her stroller the whole time. Honestly I wouldn't have let her out anyway, there were WAY too many people around and I didn't have the energy to chase her around & keep her out of trouble. :) We've had to use Farrell bags to vent her while she's being fed lately and as I've mentioned before, they really only work when they're hung a couple feet above the stomach with the tubing connections below the stomach. Without an IV pole, this is difficult so by the time we headed outside for the trunk-or-treat part of the party, most of her formula was in the Farrell bag instead of in her stomach. I decided that instead of just being a tired mom for Halloween, I'd be an IV pole.

Side note, I also noticed that when you're at a Halloween party, nobody looks at you funny when you let your kid drink water out of a 60ml syringe. She prefers to drink out of the syringe and she doesn't choke as much when she does it so I let her. Not to mention that I didn't want her chili backwash in my water bottle. :)

I think it goes without saying that yesterday was a long, awful, miserable day for me. :) Today has been MUCH better though so don't worry, I'm back to my normal self. Like I said, there are a lot of good days, some bad ones, and some that are just plain ugly like yesterday was.

By the time evening rolled around, I was worn out and didn't care to cook dinner so I took Raya & went to Little Caesar's for a $5 pizza. Apparently the rest of the people within a 2 mile radius did too so there was a line out the door. After spending the entire day dealing with aggravating circumstances, I would have been doing nobody any favors to go stand in line with my darling little crabby redhead and wait for pizza so we went home. She cried all the way home because she wanted pizza. Not that I would have been able to let her have it anyway, but she was really upset. So was I. I wanted pizza. The big kids weren't happy either but they ate their microwaved frozen chicken without complaining.

When it was time to get Halloween costumes on, I couldn't find Raya's kitty ears ANYWHERE. For the party at the church, I had the ears but not her black pants. This time I had the black pants but not the ears, so I had to do her hair in little loopy ponytails and pretend they were ears. All she cared about was that I put "whispers" on her cheeks. This time I made sure to take pictures of all the kids in their costumes.
For the record, I'm glad Halloween is over just because I won't be hearing these two girls (who can't say the letter K & replace it with a T) talking about Raya being a "_itty" for Halloween anymore. I'm not typing the actual word because I don't want that on the blog but you catch my drift. My girlies need some speech therapy. :)

Hawkeye (Cole), Kitty (Raya), Sailor Moon (Ashtyn), and Jaguar (Kaida)

We had perfect weather for trick-or-treating. We've suffered through the hot part of the year and now we're remembering why we live in Arizona. :) All the kids had a good time but Raya was the most excited about it. She barreled her way up to every door, knocked until someone opened it, and then said "trick or treat!" as she stepped inside their doors. After they gave her candy, she'd yell, "Thank you!" and come back down the sidewalk to head to the next house. She LOVED it! I felt a little bad that she won't get to eat 99% of what she got but the important part was that she got to do what the big kids were doing and had a blast doing it. When we got home, we let the kids each pick 2 things to eat right then and then we put the rest away. In Mommy & Daddy's closet. So that Mommy can eat candy while she does homework & makes phone calls. Terrible, I know. :)

Unfortunately, Raya managed to down a Kit Kat and woke up later that night feeling awful. She was rolling around in her bed crying but not quite all the way awake or coherent. When I got her out of bed and took her in the living room she was beyond the point where she can communicate with us so we had to pin her down so I could plug in the extension tube and vent her stomach. I ended up dumping out the couple ounces of formula & chocolate goo that came out so that she didn't throw it up. I also checked the water volume in her G tube balloon because it was really, really loose and I thought maybe the balloon was leaking but it was normal. She was so far gone that Donny just had to put her in the shower to get her to calm down & be able to communicate again. We did her new bedtime routine with her and he took her back to bed. She cried for a few minutes but went back to sleep.

Today she felt better and her tube didn't seem so loose & floppy this morning. She was up to her usual mischief for most of the day but we all had a better day today than we did yesterday. She still managed to pull her G tube out again though. It's really getting ridiculous trying to keep a 2 year old tethered to an IV pole for an hour while she gets fed. If it wasn't for the Farrell bag she could just wear her backpack & be fine, but the Farrell bags don't work for her unless they're up high. This time she climbed onto the kitchen counter looking for marshmallows & candy and it must have come out when she got down. There was a puddle on the floor (i.e. the 137ml that she'd already been fed) and a trail of formula across the kitchen floor. She was standing next to her IV pole watching the formula leak out of the fully inflated G tube on the floor.

And for the record, I did NOT put that outfit together. That was all Raya. Once again, I pinned her down & put her G tube back in. I hate having to do it that way but it's the only way I can get it in because she fights me so much.

After the tube was back in, she sat in her high chair and ate Fritos and ice cubes until her feed was done. Then it was naptime so I gave her a bath and did her bedtime routine. Bless her soul, she took a nap! I was SO happy. She needed it and Kaida and I enjoyed our nice, quiet afternoon. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …