Skip to main content

"I nee hudds"

"I nee hudds." This is what Raya has been saying pretty much every 10 minutes all day every day this week. I don't know why she's doing it and I'm sure if it was any other kid, I wouldn't think twice about it. Every 10 minutes or so, she'll stop what she's doing and find somebody to hug. If one of the big kids is around, she'll hug them. Even THEY have commented about how strange her behavior has been. :) They're not those little one arm patting hugs either, they're tight squeezes and she expects to be squeezed hard too. There's been a fair amount if crying this week too.
The need to be squeezed isn't the only thing that's off with her this week. She's having a bad sensory week altogether this week. Today, she was leaving off the second half of any words that were used in sequence and all of her letter sounds were really soft and slurred. I could hardly understand anything she said unless she was completely happy and concentrating on what she was saying. She's been falling down more this week, running into things, her balance has been a little off, and she's not eating as much ice as she usually does. Her teeth are probably thankful for the break. :) She's been a little sleepy too so I hope it's not a sign that she's getting sick or anything but so far, it seems to be just an off week for her sensory-wise. She had to come with me to my GI appointment this week (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, mommy has GERD too :) and slept for the first half of it. She was still really sleepy when she woke up so she tried to curl up on a chair.
She didn't love being there but she was really good. Except that she kept pulling medical supplies out of my purse. The best part was when I looked over at her squeezing a little foil packet of surgi-lube and said, "Raya, stop squeezing the surgical lubricant and put it back in Mommy's purse!" And the doctor looked up from my chart, turned to look at me, raised his eyebrows and said, "Hmmm..lubricant in the purse eh?" Awkward... So I quickly explained that it was for G tube emergencies and I'm sure my face turned several shades of red. Moving on... I gave her more of the Raya-friendly buckwheat pancakes yesterday.

She was pleased as punch and ate 2 pancakes again! Aaaaaaaand then she licked her plate to get the last drops of syrup &a little powdered sugar.

The big kids are off school this week so we've been trying to get out and have fun. We've had 2 park days (which is about all the fun Mommy can stand. :) We played at the park this morning and then went to OT. After that we played at a friend's house most of the afternoon. She had thrown a huge for when I tried to connect her to her feed in the car so I had her lay on the couch after we got home so I could feed her. I think she was zonked before the Backyardigans finished singing their theme song. :)

In other news, the nurse called me yesterday to let me know that Raya's last labs were showing a vitamin D deficiency. I haven't gotten copies of the lab reports yet so I don't know exactly how far off she is from where she's supposed to be. We started her on a supplement for it so hopefully that will get her levels back up. I find it humorous that we live in the place where the sun shines 300+ days a year and she's lacking vitamin D. Ironies of life, I guess.

Comments

  1. I saw this recipe book and thought of you http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cooking-for-isaiah-silvana-nardone/1100733118

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …