Skip to main content

Weekend ramblings




This weekend was not the highlight of my mothering career. The kids ran amok the entire day on Saturday while I holed up in my office writing essays, a lab report and taking a quiz. (no, really, it was 12-ish hours of work. I stopped briefly to medicate, feed and put Raya to bed. I also had dozens of interruptions to the tune of, "Mommy, he won't give me my _________ (insert doll, toy, sandwich, bouncy ball, etc.)." and, "Um, is it time for snack/lunch/snack #2/snack #375/etc. yet?" and "You said we could do _____________ sometime. Can we go do it right now?" and my personal favorite, "I really REALLY want to do something fun. Is there anything FUN to do around here? (mommy lists off several 'fun' things) Well, none of those sound like fun. *sigh* I guess I'll just go play the DS/watch Netflix."

I also took a time out to drive the kids to their cousin's birthday party. Raya cried most of the way there (whilst clutching her floatie vest) because I told her she was coming home with me and not swimming with the big kids. She was quite the sight in her poofy, red with white polka dot Minnie Mouse dress-up on (inside out, by the way), sitting in her carseat crying and hugging her hot pink floatie vest. I was really at my wit's end that day (oh, did I mention that Donny had to work on Saturday??) so I was not up to doing anything or seeing anyone and had way too much work to do so I dropped them off at the curb and drove home with a crying Raya in the back seat. She stopped when I gave her a Chick-fil-a waffle fry though. (Did you know they fry their chicken in peanut oil? Is that even safe? Shouldn't they have signs posted everywhere that they use PEANUT oil??) When we got home, we sat down at the table to eat (because the only other thing I had eaten up to that point was a couple of bowls of cereal) and Raya ended up consuming an entire 1 oz container of Chick-fil-a sauce. Now don't get me wrong, I love Chick-fil-a sauce, but after watching the way she scooped it up and then slurped it off of her soggy waffle fry has really turned me off to it and it might be a while before I can bring myself to eat either of those things again.

She was acting funny that day. She's been complaining on & off recently that her tummy hurts. When a 2 year old says their tummy hurts, it's hard to know whether or not to believe them but when she tells me that and then grabs her G tube or puts her hand over the exact location of her stomach, it's hard to write it off as nothing. After we ate dinner, she wanted to lay on the couch and watch Backyardigans, which again set off alarm bells because she DID actually lay on the couch for about 90 minutes and just watched Backyardigans. Raya laying still for that long (anything over 30 seconds, really) when she's not in her crib is usually a sign that something's off with her. She was still a little funny yesterday but she seems fine today. Except that she's been a bit gun shy about swallowing anything since the peanut butter vomiting incident on Friday. I'm kind of dreading feeding therapy tomorrow because it didn't go well last Tuesday and I don't expect tomorrow to be any better. We shall see though.

She made an ENORMOUS mess with a box of cereal this morning. I don't suppose I have to elaborate on that. It was literally from one end of the house to the other, on the couches, under the couches, on the rug, and everywhere else. The rule in our house is that no food or drinks leave the kitchen, not even water. Raya hasn't gotten the memo, apparently.

Today we went to Build-A-Bear after school so that we could use the rest of the money that was donated and make a few more Tubie Friends for our local children's hospital. Tubie Friends is a fabulous organization (as is its sister organization, Mini Buddy). Tubie Friends & Mini Buddy put feeding tubes and other medical devices (trachs, ports, central lines, etc.) into stuffed animals and send them to kids free of charge to help them and their families cope. I started volunteering earlier this year as a "Tubie Friends Surgeon" and I absolutely LOVE it. Anyway, we had a little bit of money left over from a fundraiser earlier in the year so the kids and I decided to spend it. :) They love going to buy the bears and they never get upset about not getting to keep the bears we make because they know why we're doing it. Raya even understands that we're making bears for other kids and she loves to help. She always picks out the same bear that she has and calls them all Tubie-rina since that's her bear's name. :)

And yes, she's wearing one pink flip-flop that's too small and one purple zebra flip-flop that's almost too small. We can't find the match to either of them but they happen to be opposite feet so it works. Isn't her new backpack adorable? It's supposed to be a ladybug but the tubing is kind of in the way of the face. My friend Alex came across them at Target on Friday and it happens to be the perfect size for a Zevex Infinity pump and bag of formula. The best part was that unlike the boring backpack that came with her pump (to the tune of $100-ish) this backpack was only $15, AND it comes with a detachable leash, which is undoubtedly my favorite feature. Unfortunately, we drew the short straw today and the pump bag broke so about 7 ounces of vanilla Peptamen Jr poured out into her brand new backpack. I guess it was going to get "christened" at some point so it might as well be now, right?

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …