Skip to main content

Trying not to cry over vomited peanut butter

When Raya's big brother was little, he used to eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches every day and waffles with peanut butter for breakfast. He only liked creamy peanut butter though and would vomit if he ate crunchy. For a long time we thought it was a texture issue but his pediatrician suggested having allergy testing done, although she didn't think it sounded like an allergy since he was okay with creamy peanut butter. I didn't take him to the allergist. Instead we just didn't feed him crunchy peanut butter and everything was fine. Then one evening I was making some celery with cashew butter on it and he asked for a bite. I gave him a bite and 10 minutes later he was leaning over the garbage can puking his little guts out. He vomited off & on all evening. A couple days later, I put a dab of the cashew butter on his cheek just to see what would happen. Within minutes, the whole side of his face had broken out in hives. I called the allergist that very moment and after waiting for what seemed like forEVER, he finally got in for testing. (it was worth the wait, we LOVE our allergists!) Low and behold, my boy turned out to be allergic to peanuts AND tree nuts, with cashew and hazelnut being his most severe. He was 3 when he was diagnosed.

Fast forward 4 years and we have this darling girl:
Who likes to wear the pirate pants from the dress-up box and sit on the counter to eat Cheerio dust early in the morning.

After we dropped the kids off at school this morning, we came home and I made the daring move of letting the girls watch Backyardigans on Netflix while I took a shower. When I came out, Raya had a handful of crunchy peanut butter so I put her in the high chair and gave her a little cup with more peanut butter in it. She's been eating PB for quite a while now and loves it, and it's about 95 calories per tablespoon so it's a nice high calorie food for her. While she was strapped in, I hurried to get a couple of things done and a few minutes later, Kaida came and told me that Raya had "water puked" on her shirt and the high chair tray. I thought she meant that Raya had spit up water because she's been doing that a lot lately but that wasn't what happened this time. I went in the kitchen and Raya had vomited peanut butter and water all down the front of her shirt and all over the high chair tray. My heart sank because that's exactly how it started with Cole. I had her spit out the rest of the peanut chunks that she had chewed up and was holding in her mouth and then gave her a drink of water and put some Benadryl in her G tube just to be on the safe side. Then I called the allergist's office and scheduled another round of allergy testing. Since I gave her Benadryl, we have to wait at least 10 days before testing her so she'll have it done at the end of the month. I may have shed a tear or two somewhere in between peeling off her vomit covered t-shirt and trying to wash the peanut butter off of her hands without letting her lick it off. We already had to take away her beloved sour cream because it started making her sick, and now we have to take away the only other calorie-dense food that she will always eat when it's offered to her. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at this weboage: http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/Peanut_Butter_Alternatives_Substitutes_s/129.htm
    we tried the wow butter with some preschoolers at my boys school and they liked it. I just found this website and I like they will sell 1 sample pack for most so you don't have buy a huge jar in case it taste bad! I have been following you for about 2 months now and you have helped me deal with some issues with my tubie.....like bribing him to eat (or at least try one bite). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …