Skip to main content

She wants out

This is Raya's "I want out" face:


That's how I found her after her nap today. And that face pretty much represents the kind of day she's had. She started off great. She had her PT re-evaluation first thing this morning. She was bouncing off the walls the whole time and ignoring heer therapist because she was too busy spinning herself dizzy and dancing. Bless her little heart. :) She's a funny kid. You have to tell her 20 times to do something but on the time that she actually hears and listens to you, she's smart enough to be able to follow directions. If she feels like it. :)

A funny thing happened this evening. We were making pizzas and breadsticks for dinner and I needed to vent Raya before we hooked her up to her next feed. Right as Donny was pulling one pizza out of the oven and putting the next one in and I was in the middle of venting Raya, the doorbell rang. Since I was closer to the front door, I had to answer it but there were stomach contents running up the tube and into the syringe, so I couldn't clamp it and put it down to answer the door or it would have gone everywhere. My only option was to bring her with me and answer the door. It was a couple of guys Donny knows from work and I can only imagine what they must have been thinking when the door opened and they saw me holding a syringe of cloudy off-white liquid hooked to a tube hooked to my 2 year old. It must not have traumatized them too much because they still came in and talked for a while. :)
She used up all of her energy and spunk for the whole day during her PT session. She's still trying to get over the head cold and the cough that came from the head cold. She hardly ever coughs but when she does, it's awful. She had a bad poopy diaper this evening too. It was either because of the sour cream she ate (shockingly, she still likes it after Tuesday's vomiting episode) or it could be related to the cold but I'm leaning toward the sour cream. I think it might be time to repeat the allergy tests.

She's having a rough night. She woke up at 10:45 and told me her tummy hurt. It's very rare for her to say yes when I ask if her tummy hurts. Either her cold is suddenly worse or she's got allergies acting up because her nose is runny and her eyes are watery. We got some Farrell valve bags so we can try venting her during feeds to see if it helps her tummy. In the mean time, we'll snuggle on the couch with kleenex and a barf bag close by and watch some Cake Boss on Netflix (Raya's request) while I try and figure out how to make her a cooling vest. Girlfriend sweats more than any man I know so I need to figure out something to help her stay cool. When I figure it out, I'll post about it. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …