Skip to main content

A {mostly} good day

Things got off to a rough start this morning. It wasn't too shocking to me given that she's had a few rough patches lately. Friday night she woke up at midnight groaning in pain for some reason. That meant that I was awake when the fire truck pulled up next door to help my neighbor that fell down the stairs though so I was able to go stay with her kids for a while after she left in the ambulance. Anyway, Raya cried most of the morning for one reason or another. (or none at all) She wanted something then she didn't want it. That seems to be the norm lately.

She was "humbwee" when the other kids were eating breakfast so she asked for her plain Greek yogurt. I offered her some dry cereal with it and she said yes, so I got a few Froot Loops. She didn't want Froot Loops. I got a few Trix, she didn't want Trix. I started to walk away with the Froot Loops & Trix, she didn't want me to take them. I put them on the table next to her high chair, she didn't want them there. I picked them up, she said she wanted them. I put them down on the table & walked away, she cried for 20 minutes and repeated over and over, "No wann-um! No wann-um!" She wanted them but she didn't want them and she was TOTALLY fixated on the cereal sitting on the table to the point where she wasn't even eating her yogurt because she was too upset. I finally put the cereal on her high chair tray and what do you know, that's what she wanted. You think that once your baby starts talking, they'll be able to tell you what they need or want but sometimes they don't even know what the need or want. :)

After the cereal meltdown was over, we got ready for church. Raya was very excited to go to church with us and that perked her up a lot. You wouldn't think that a 2 year old would care about going to church, especially since she's only been there 4 times since last August. I think it's because she sees the rest of us get ready and go every week. She loves her respite provider but I guess she likes us too. :)

We had planned on taking her to the nursery class starting last week, but then we heard that Hand-Foot-Mouth is going around like crazy all over the country and we're just not comfortable sending her into nursery yet. I don't know when we will or even IF we will, and I've decided that I really don't care about anyone else's opinion. Anyway, instead of sending her into the nursery class I took her to the adult classes with me again. She doesn't even realize that she's missing out on anything because she only went to nursery 4 times and apparently doesn't remember it. She's totally content to come with us and play with her little bag of toys and practice cleaning her mouth out between goldfish crackers. :)
Aside from having to change a poopy diaper in the middle of church, I really loved having her with me today. She was SO good in class and seemed to be really happy to be there. I was smart this week and remembered to bring her blanket. That helped a lot, especially because the air conditioning was on and I was freezing. :)
She's had an awesome eating day today. Between her breakfast, snack and dinner, she ate 8 tablespoons (i.e. 1/2 cup) of plain Greek yogurt, 20 goldfish crackers, 1/2 of a graham cracker, and 1/4 cup of Trix. The calorie count was right around 200 so that's awesome. She hasn't had a 200 calorie day in quite a while. Hopefully our trip this week won't mess up the good things we have going right now. :) On that note, post to follow in the near future about packing, clearing airport security, and flying with a tube fed child+3 siblings. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …