INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Craptastic

Rough week for Raya. A month ago at her GI appointment, we decided to cut her calories a little since we had overfed her into the 75th percentile. We reduced her from 990 calories a day to 930. We also decided to start trying a little milk (as in real milk from cows, not canned formula :) so we started with 1 ounce a day and worked her up to 4 ounces. It only took a couple of days before she was constipated. Then she had that funny little flu-ish thing and we swapped out all her formula & milk for pedialyte for 12 hours and then gradually worked her back up to full formula but never added the milk back in. This week, we started her back on milk.
*warning: I'm going to talk about poop*
I think my girl may be lactose intolerant. On Sunday, she was up to a full 4 ounces and on Monday she had a very strange poopy diaper. We'll just say that it's not normal for poop to be stringy. Yesterday the child who normally poops once every 1-2 days had 4 diarrhea diapers. As in, nothing left to wipe off because it all soaked into the diaper. Not only that, but she refused to let her OT do some of the oral motor program that she's been doing. The last 2 parts of the program involve the therapist putting a gloved finger in Raya's mouth and pressing down on her tongue and rubbing the roof of her mouth. When she got to that part, Raya clamped her mouth shut and shook her head "No" and that was that. She was NOT opening her mouth.
Right before OT we were eating lunch and I offered Raya a piece of bread from my sandwich. She's gotten to a point where if everybody else is eating, she at least wants something to nibble on but she refused multiple offers of bites of our lunches. Then when her feeding therapist came, she offered Raya a bite of her favorite plain Greek yogurt and Raya actually said, "No." She's never told her therapist no before! It wasn't that ornery 2 year old no either, it was a very calm no. She did end up eating about 2 tablespoons of it but only because her therapist put goldfish crackers in it so she ate the yogurt covered crackers. On the bright side, she ate 35 goldfish. :)
Last night I gave her milk again because I knew that if I emailed her doctor about the diarrhea she would probably want me to continue the milk for a couple more days on the chance that the diarrhea is something viral. (she always thinks of that and I never do :) It was about 9:30 when I gave her the milk and not long after that, she had the 4th diarrhea diaper of the day. Donny changed her and tried to put her back to bed but as soon as he walked out of the room she stood up and started crying loud enough to wake the neighborhood so I got her out of bed. You know something's off with Raya when she will actually snuggle with you on the couch. She and I laid on the couch until about 2am when I couldn't take it anymore and put her back in bed.
Then at 4:30 she woke up and was crying, so I got her out of bed and again she laid down with me. It's not normal for her to willingly lay down in our bed with us either. She usually starts screaming as soon as you walk towards the bed with her. She was tossing and turning a little bit and then had another diarrhea diaper. (nothing says good morning like changing a raunchy diaper at 4:45am) After that, she was still willing to snuggle up in bed with me until she heard the other kids come downstairs. She's been in a pretty good mood all morning and did awesome at her weight check. Behaviorally, anyway. Weight, not so much.

One month ago, she weighed 13.63kg (30 lbs, 0.8 oz) and was 90.4cm tall. Today, she weighed 13.04kg (28 lbs 7.4 oz) and was 92cm tall. That pretty much sucks. She's lost 1 1/2 pounds in a month. It's a pretty big setback. I'm trying to not beat myself up about it even though I do own some responsibility since I am the one that calculates the calories every day. Time to start watching her like a hawk and counting every single calorie again.

To end on a positive-ish note, she ate a dum-dum on the way home. For the first time, she actually bit and chewed it. I kept telling her not to bite it but secretly I was proud of her. :) Right up until she ate the paper that came off the stick with the sucker. She has probably lost her dum-dum privileges for a while since biting chunks of sucker is a good way for a kid who doesn't chew & swallow well to choke, but I was still proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...