Skip to main content

Drowsiness brought to you by Periactin

After a month-long hiatus from Periactin, I started Raya on it again yesterday to see if we could get her eating a little more. It seems like every time we cycle her on it, we discover a new side effect. The first week she took it, she had terrible insomnia. There was also some extra excitability and restlessness. I was slightly disappointed as I had been expecting the traditional drowsiness that accompanies antihistamines. :)
This time around, the insomnia has been replaced by drowsiness. It's much nicer to live with. I feel kind of bad for her, she's gone back and forth between wide awake and not able to keep her eyes open all day long. I took her to OT this morning and within 30 minutes it was lights out for Raya. she slept most of the session while her therapist had her in the swing and then did deep pressure massage on her. She stayed asleep until I was buckling her into her carseat, woke up briefly, slept for a few more minutes, woke up and was WIDE awake for about 5 minutes, and then fell asleep again. When we got home, she laid down on the couch for a few minutes and then finally woke up for real.
As far as the effectiveness of the Periactin, the jury is still out. She's been telling me all day today, "Mommy, humbwee." So I ask her what she wants to eat, give her whatever she asks for, and she doesn't eat it. It does seem to be making her hungry and she's starting to recognize that she's hungry but that doesn't make up for her lack of desire to eat. She's still not making the connection between hunger and eating, nor does she comprehend that eating is necessary to sustain life. I really don't think it's fair for a 2 year old to have to even TRY to comprehend something so abstract and complex. It makes me sad if I think about it too much so I don't. Mostly when her feeding therapist comes over, which happens every Tuesday now.

This afternoon we talked a lot about the need to keep food interesting for her so that she doesn't get distracted. She's very easily distracted and gets visually overstimulated fairly easily. We had a family gathering for Easter and for me, those are always met with mixed feelings. Of course I love getting together with family and I love having the kids have a chance to play with their cousins, but Raya doesn't have the same experience that all the other kids do. She was a little overwhelmed with everything that was going on. There were 12 other kids running around, a lot of adults talking, tile floors & high ceilings echoing, and a lot of things to see. Instead of her normal chatty busy little self, she wanted me to hold her the whole time and didn't say 2 words to anybody the whole time we were there. On the plus side, she wasn't freaking out like she has before when she's been in similar situations. I just felt bad that she was not having the same fun experience that all the other kids were having with each other. It's really strange to see Raya acting subdued and wanting me to hold her when there's fun to be had. That's how you know she's stressed out. She also had no interest in going outside to hunt for Easter eggs when the other kids were looking for them but she did have fun making a little Easter picture with Grandma's pretty stickers.


On the bright side, she took some tastes of the homemade salsa. She really does prefer strong flavors like spicy and salty over sweet things. While I was holding her, she licked 3 or 4 small bites of salsa off of a chip (not the same chip every time, I wasn't double dipping :) so I asked her if she wanted a bowl of salsa and she said yes. I fixed her a little bowl with some salsa and a scoop of sour cream and a couple of chips and sat her at the table with some of the other kids. I fully expected her to eat it and I think she was planning on it but as soon as I put her down, all she could do was stare at everybody else that was at the table.
Oh well, at least she had some tastes before that. :) She also had a couple bites of strawberry shortcake. It just takes her forEVER to finish even the smallest bite of something. She's starting to move the food around in her mouth a lot more which is good, but now she's pocketing a lot of food in her cheeks. For now, her feeding therapist thinks (and I agree) that it's okay to let her do that because it's her way of experiencing her food and she does need to build up an awareness of what it feels like to have food in her whole mouth rather than just on the end of her tongue like she's been doing up until recently. When I actually sit with Raya and make her take small bites that she can manage and only give her access to one bite at a time, she does much better but she loses interest very quickly, gets frustrated that I'm not letting her be in control, and it takes a very, very long time for her to finish any significant amount of food. I'm not the most patient person and I have 3 other kids that need attention too, so those are the things that make all of this feel overwhelming to me. Thank goodness I don't feel that way all the time! :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …