Skip to main content

Who needs sleep when you can party with Gram E?

My celebration over the magic that is the ocean sounds cd may have been a tad premature. It turns out that Raya can still resist the deep relaxation of the crashing waves and seagulls if she really wants to. She's good like that.

The past 3 days, she hasn't been letting me do her sensory protocol like she had been before. (sensory protocol= lotion massage on arms & legs, joint compressions in arms & legs, and rocking) Why, you ask? Because she doesn't want to let me be in control of the lotion bottle. Even if I put it behind me so she can't see it, she pops up every 30 seconds to demand that I put more lotion in her hand. One time I tried to just not use lotion and she threw a giant fit (you know, because it was nap time and she was TIRED) so I need to figure out a way to keep her from knowing that I'm using lotion or something. She also gets tired of me touching her by about the time we get through her legs and one arm and then wants nothing more than to get away from me. We'll keep plugging away at it anyway though. She does still like the cd of ocean sounds but the schedule of some of her therapies means that she just doesn't take naps at all on certain days so that's made it harder to get her to take naps on the days she isn't at therapy during that time.

She's had a little harder time staying asleep the last few days. It seems like there's been something going on with her body GI-wise but unless a kid is puking, it's hard to guess what's wrong with them. On Wednesday night, I put her in bed at 6:30 like usual and she woke up screaming at 8:00 but eventually went back to bed. Thursday night she woke up screaming at 11:00 and wasn't about to let me put her back in bed so we laid down on the couch and watched Frasier on Netflix. (I'm tired of Cake Boss and she likes the dog on Frasier. :) I tried to vent her G tube to see if she had excess gas in her stomach that was causing pain but nothing came out. The next thing I knew, it was 2:00 in the morning and Raya was bouncing around the living room just as happy as could be but with a horrible smelling poopy diaper. I changed her and put her back to bed and she woke up just before 7 ready to start the day. She never took a nap that day either. She woke up screaming at 10:30 on Friday night and I ended up laying down with her in my bed (which is rare, she usually refuses). There were a couple times when I honestly expected her to puke because of the sounds she was making. She sounded like she was having a lot of reflux but that also could have just been a result of her crying and being so upset. We both fell asleep & Donny put her back in bed but she woke up screaming at 4:15 yesterday morning and refused to go back to bed. I took her out on the couch and she went back to sleep until about 7:30.

I don't know what keeps waking her up but hopefully whatever it is will work itself out soon. I've noticed that her cheeks are turning red a lot lately too. There's never any rhyme or reason to it, especially when it's only one cheek turning red. I finally got a good picture but I don't have it on the computer yet.

On a more exciting note, my mom has been here visiting this weekend. The kids LOVE having her here because they only get to see her once or twice a year.
For a few days, they'll climb all over somebody other than me. :) Raya has been mimicking everything she does. They had quite the little game of monkey see monkey do this afternoon:
 She really likes Gram E. :) We went bowling yesterday for Ashtyn's 9th birthday and Gram E let Raya bowl with her. On Friday when Raya's PT was here, they were working on kicking a ball so when Gram E would put the bowling ball down so they could roll it down the lane, Raya would try to kick it. By the time we got to the 9th frame, Raya was ready to be done and wouldn't stop clinging to my leg so I bowled my last 2 frames holding Raya in one arm and bowling with the other hand. Sadly, those were 2 of my best frames. I even bowled a strike while holding her. :)

Oh, and I found a really good use for those big syringes we have so many of:
I made A-shaped pancakes for Ashtyn's birthday breakfast and they turn out SO much better with the precision of injecting the batter into the pan. :)

Comments

  1. I LOVE the syringe idea!! I will definitely be trying that one soon!!

    As far as sleeping, my daughter misses naps some days too, but it never seems to make a difference with her nighttime sleep times. She goes to bed around 7:30 and is up by 6am screaming her head off!!

    People keep encouraging me to try dropping her naps completely or let her stay up later. NO THANKS!! I need the nap time in the afternoon whenever possible to try to regain some sanity before my other kids get home from school and the late-afternoon crazies sets in! I won't keep her up later at night because that would be enough of a reason for her almost 7 year old brother to think he can stay up later, but I still have to wake him up for school in the mornings so he obviously needs that sleep.

    I suppose there are some mysteries about our kiddo's that are still unknown. All my husband and I keep saying to each other as she is screaming is, "good think she is cute!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …