INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Monday, March 5, 2012

Making up lost ground

Well. I had high hopes for restarting OT. REEEEEALLy high hopes. I'm happy to report that things are definitely looking up. Rome wasn't built in a day but we got a lot of excavating done over the weekend. :) I've been doing pretty well with Raya's "sensory diet" protocol that her new OT did with her at Wednesday & Thursday's appointments. (start with lotion massage on legs/feet & arms/hands, then joint compressions, then rocking motion)

Over the weekend, I was able to go through it with her once or twice a day right before naps & bedtime. She lays down on her 2 fleece blankets that she HAS to have under her head when she's laying down and I massage her. Raya LOVES lotion. So much in fact, that she climbed back out of bed at naptime on Saturday and covered herself with lotion. And a whole bunch of other stuff. A couple times I went without the lotion because her skin was getting lotion overload and it was just making a mess. She loves the joint compressions and usually giggles when I do them with her.

The part that's been a little tougher to be consistent with is the swinging/rocking. We don't have a rocking chair so I've been doing my best to just hold her and rock her. When I pick her up to rock her, I leave the blankets under her so she doesn't feel like I'm touching her as much. If I don't do that, she won't let me hold her for more than a few seconds and then she wiggles away from me. The hard part is that she's getting so stinkin' heavy! (that's a good thing :) Since Donny was home at bedtime last night, we put her on a towel and used the towel to swing her. She relaxed pretty well with that but like I said, she's getting heavy and my hands got all crampy after about 5 minutes so that was it. :)

The REALLY amazing thing is the cd of ocean sounds that her OT sent home with us. It's like MAGIC! I put it on when we start and even the times that she was screaming and kicking when I put her in her bed, she's asleep 10 minutes later. Uh-Mazing. Hopefully over time, she'll tolerate me doing the massage & joint compressions a little better because she's still pretty resistant some of the time. The cd has a warning about not using it if you've ever had seizures so thank GOODNESS Raya has never had seizures because the cd is really helping her relax and go to sleep faster. It apparently doesn't prevent her from waking up at 3am for no good reason and demanding to watch Cake Boss though. :)

Raya is still Raya, of course. She's still doing a lot of climbing:
And still getting into things. You know your child is a tubie when they get into the candy cupboard and steal SYRINGES. :)
We still have a ways to go but I feel like we're already making up some of the ground we've lost in the last month. Overall Raya is feeling better. She's having more calm times and isn't constantly running around like a crazy woman as much as she has been. She's also doing better with eating and swallowing her food. She found an apple in Donny's briefcase yesterday and ate almost half of it, except for the peels which sat on the end of her tongue until I wiped them out for her. She ate 2 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter this morning and 2 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt at lunch time. Then she smeared what was left on her head. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...