*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*


**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**

Monday, February 27, 2012

ANOTHER accidental tube removal

This is starting to sound like a broken record, but yes, Raya's tube came out AGAIN. There are no pictures this time because there was blood and a moment of slight fear involved. This was by far the worst one she's had. I got her out of bed this morning and laid her down to change her diaper and realized that her G tube was dangling from the extension tube that was taped to her stomach. When I lifted up her shirt, there was dried blood all over the stoma and part of her stomach. And her finger. Because apparently an empty stoma is a great place to stick a finger.

The crazy part is that I have NO idea how long it had been out but it had obviously been several hours because everything was dry. I don't know when or how it came out but I know it was still in when I went to bed at 10:30 last night. There was a big chunk of dried blood in the center of the stoma and the hole looked so tiny that I honestly expected to have to take her to the hospital to get the tube put back in. Normally when the tube is out for whatever reason, you can still see a hole in the center. This time, There was nothing. It honestly looked like a belly button and I started thinking about who might be able to watch Kaida while I took her to the hospital. Since it was only 7:15, I figured I'd at least give it a good try before I made any phone calls.

It took a massive amount of KY jelly and about 10 minutes of poking, pushing and wiggling, but it finally went back in. This is one situation where I'm really glad that Raya has such a ridiculously high pain tolerance because she squirmed a little bit and said "Ow" a couple times but for the most part, it didn't bother her. (We've come a really long way since her NG tube days. :) I suppose that's also why it doesn't bother her to stick her finger in the stoma whenever the tube comes out. I put extra water in the balloon this time and hopefully that will help keep it in. I already had 5ml in it so it shouldn't have been a problem anyway, but hopefully the 6.5ml I put in it this morning will work better.
Just to be on the safe side, I left a message for the GI nurse just in case they thought we needed to have it checked out but she said as long as the tube is flushing ok, we don't have to come in. Also, the results were in from last week's labs and things look pretty good. A couple of things were a little off but I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. Thank goodness for near misses. A near miss is still a miss! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...