Skip to main content

It's dreen. Why is it dreen?

I thought today would be a good day for some humor, so watch this video. If you don't watch the video, the rest of what I'm about to say won't make sense or be funny. It still might not be funny but the video is. :)



So back to my story. I've been racking my brain trying to think of ways to more or less trick Raya into expanding her very limited diet. She will eat a little bit of all kinds of carbs, but the only sources of protein she gets right now orally are peanut butter and her precious "sour cream", aka plain Greek yogurt. Peanut butter is a lot harder for her to eat because she won't eat anything WITH it. She will use either her fingers or a cracker (like a wheat thin or pita chip) to scoop it up, but she won't eat the cracker. Go ahead and try sometime to just eat a spoonful of peanut butter by itself. Tough.
Anyway, she eats a lot more of the Greek yogurt than peanut butter, so I've been trying to find something I could gradually mix in so that she doesn't realize she's eating another flavor until she's gotten used to it in small amounts. Sneaky, eh? :) I've added things like garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and curry powder just to give it a little flavor other than just plain ol' yogurt, and she's fine with those, but if I try to put in anything else, she won't eat it. We've tried putting a couple of tiny drops of orange juice in it with her feeding therapist and she refused to eat it after that. I also tried baby food bananas since they're the baby food with the closest texture to the yogurt, but the flavor was too strong for her even with the very small amount that I mixed in. We even had a sample of some flavored Greek yogurt at Costco the other day and she didn't like that. It was the same brand I get for her but it had some blueberry stuff to mix in with it and she was not a fan.
Then I decided I'd try avocado. (this is where the "dreen" part comes in. If you didn't watch the video, you won't get it. :) I carefully measured out the right amount of avocado and weighed it so I'd know exactly how many calories it was (I know, a little excessive, right?) and then I mashed it until it was as smooth as it could possibly be and mixed it in with a little bit of the yogurt. I left some by itself in the cup, then in the middle there was the blended stuff, and then the plain yogurt was on the other side of the cup. With high hopes, I handed it to a very eager Raya who was yelling, "Dimme my tah-TEEM! pease." (at least she uses manners when she yells & demands things :)
I had dipped the spoon into a little bit of yogurt and a little bit of avocado before I handed it to her. She took it, looked at it, looked up at me, looked back at the spoon, and then looked at me again with her head cocked to the side and her eyebrow raised as if to say, "It's dreen. Why is it dreen?" I smiled and said, "Look, Raya! It's yummy avocado!" and then tried to help her get the spoon in her mouth. She clamped it shut. Then when she had regained control over the spoon, she attempted to wipe the avocado off of it but couldn't, so she gave up on the spoon and went back to her pita chip. She picked up the cup, held it out to me and said, "Here, Mommy. No-wannit." I tried one last time to feed her a bite of the yogurt+avocado and was met with this face:
Nice try, Mom. *sigh* at least I tried. :) If anybody has any ideas of other white foods that are similar in texture to plain Greek yogurt but don't have much (if any) flavor of their own (especially sweet), I'm open to suggestion. Preferrably fruit & vegetable in nature and no, she doesn't like mashed potatoes. (See, this is difficult! :)

The green doesn't end there though. I'm rather enjoying this "blenderized diet" stuff. I think most people who do BD switch over to 100% BD but we're sticking to about 2/3 commercial formula and 1/3 food, which ends up being a combination of whatever calories she eats for the day plus blenderized food to equal the rest of her calorie needs for the day. I am really enjoying making food for her. In part, I think it's because when she got her feeding tube and had to be put on specialized formula, I felt like I had been robbed of the most important job a mother can do, which is be the person in charge of what went into her body. We are gaining some of that freedom back and it's a very cool feeling to be able to feed her whatever I want her to have. Even better is the fact that since she doesn't taste any of it, I can give her things that a normal 2 year old would refuse to eat. :)
Last night, I had roasted a big butternut squash to portion out in little baggies and freeze for quick ingredients to put in her food, so I put some of that in her blend. With that, I added a container of Gerber apples & chicken baby food (because I need the containers so I can make more food for her :), 2 ounces of formula to help it blend, and then I grabbed a handful of spinach from the garden (LOVE growing things in my back yard that we can eat, especially in January :), and added a little water and ended up with this:
The spinach in our garden is the DARKEST green spinach I've ever seen. I only put in 1 ounce of spinach compared to 4 oz of squash and all the other pale colored ingredients, and the spinach totally took over. :) So once again, we laughed because we were thinking about the Kid History video and the healthy food. :)
I was a little concerned that she was going to throw up after this because it was more volume than she's ever gotten at once, and this is the girl that used to vomit if somebody looked at her wrong. We could never give her more than an ounce or two of liquid in her stomach at a time or she would throw up until every drop of it was out of her.
Anyway, the blend was 10 oz and 200 calories and easily could have been more if I'd added a little coconut oil or peanut butter. I gave her the first 2 syringes & a 2 ounce water flush and then waited a little while (about 45 minutes) before I gave her the rest. I was afraid it would go through her too fast (dumping syndrome) and make her sick but that didn't happen either. I swear she really did throw up all the time, I'm not making that up even though she's trying really hard to make it look like I am. :)

Comments

  1. maybe this is a statement of the obvious or not what you are looking for, but would vanilla protein powder work?
    I tried making protein powder fudge-cicles for my niece that has sensory issues and she didn't fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will she eat actual sour cream? Thats white and similar texture. I have a super good recipe for EASY Greek Yogurt, that was WAY cheaper plus you can make it with whole milk and add just a tiny flavor to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sour cream was the first food that she started eating consistently and I switched her to Greek yogurt because it's a little healthier & has more protein in it. I saw your recipe for the Greek yogurt though and I SO need to try it! So far she won't eat any flavored yogurts at all but maybe if I made it myself I could make it weak enough that she'd eat it. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will she do hummus in the yogurt? If you leave out all of the flavor ingredients it would taste just like yogurt, and the texture is similar.
    Or pasta? you could blend it up really smooth and mix with the yogurt.
    Oatmeal? But I think you already did oatmeal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …