Skip to main content

Here, Mommy, have a heart attack

Bless her little heart, Raya likes to play little practical jokes on her mother. Fortunately, I have learned in the past 2 years to not panic and to find humor in most situations. Unfortunately, once again there is no picture to go with my story because I was too busy keeping myself from panicking.
Raya had feeding therapy with Miss Cathy at 1:00 and I had invited her respite provider to come and watch a FT session so that she would have a better idea of how to help Raya and keep her safe when she's eating. Right when she got here, I opened the front door and then the feeding pump started beeping. When I walked into the bedroom to see why it was beeping, I did not expect to see what I saw.
Raya often holds things when she sleeps. Usually it's some kind of stuffed animal, small toy, or a washcloth/burp rag. This time, I walked in and looked at her and she was sound asleep clutching her G TUBE in her hand. AAAAAHHH! It was actually kind of cute aside from the fact that it was supposed to be in her stomach, not her hand. Due to the fact that I needed to get the tube back in ASAP, I didn't take a picture, darn it. :) On the bright side, it gave me a chance to give Megan another refresher on how to reinsert a pulled out G tube. :)
There have been other times when Raya had pulled the tube out during her naptime and I had no idea how long it had been out, but it's always popped back in fairly easily. There was one time where I really thought I was going to have to take her in to get the stoma stretched but eventually got it in. 
She must have been having a really good motility day today because everything in her bed (sheet, clothes, etc.) was dry, which means A. the tube had been out long enough for everything to dry out, and B. there must not have been much left in her stomach or the bed would have been wet. I brought her out in the living room & laid her on the floor and gathered the necessary supplies (water, towel, special little syringe, etc.). Then I lifted up her shirt and that's when I *almost* panicked. The hole in the middle of her stoma was TINY. It's amazing how huge the tube suddenly looks when you realize you're going to have to stick it back in a hole that looks really tiny. :) Thankfully with the help of a little KY jelly, it slid back in without much trouble.
Of course it was all in the name of mischief. It's a domino effect, really. The periactin she's on to stimulate her appetite makes it hard for her to fall asleep at naptime, so while she's not sleeping, she's doing naughty little things like peeling the Hypafix tape off of her stomach, unhooking her extension tube, and then poking the tip of the extension tube into the balloon port on the G tube and letting the water out of the balloon. Once she had done that, there was nothing keeping the tube in her stomach so it probably just fell out. And then with it tucked safely into her squishy little hand, she drifted off to dreamland. :)

(and feeding therapy went very well today and she's eaten 229 calories. yay for periactin :)

And here she is all snuggled up to the Grinch tonight:

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …