Skip to main content

Public display of G tube grossness

We are on a bad streak this week. That darn G tube keeps getting pulled out. 3 times in about 5 days, to be inexact. I've forgotten the details of the first one other than it happened. I think she was just wearing a diaper and the extension tube got caught on a kitchen chair she was climbing on and the tube got pulled out. The second time was pretty much the same. I was upstairs, Donny & the kids were downstairs, the tube got pulled out, and Raya walked around for a couple minutes leaking an orange mixture of formula and a smashed cracker she found in the bottom of her sister's lunch bag (gross, I know) before somebody finally noticed it. Then I put the tube back in with one hand while I used the other hand to try and keep Raya from sticking her finger in the hole. I'm sure it was quite the sight to see but my camera was upstairs and I was out of free hands anyway.

Today takes the cake though. This was the first time it's ever happened in a location other than our house. The kids got out of school early today so I had to wake the girls up from their naps (for cryin' out loud, WHY do they always take such good naps on early out days?!?) to go pick the kids up at the bus stop. Raya was connected to her feeding pump and I was in a hurry since I had waited until the last possible minute to wake them up, so I didn't bother to look and see if the pump was actually running or if it was between intervals. Since Kaida was still groggy and neither one of them had shoes on, I rolled the windows down & left them in the car (don't worry, it was 70 degrees and I was 20 yards away) while I rounded up the kids.
I was talking to a friend about some issues she's having with her insurance company (since I've spent so much time dealing with insurance crap) and Ashtyn asked me if she could get the girls out of the car. I told her not to, and not 2 minutes later, she yelled, "MOMMY! Something happened!" so I turned around and went to see what was going on. When I got to the car, Ashtyn had a panicked look on her face and Raya was standing on the sidewalk with formula GUSHING out of her stomach (she had JUST finished a 225ml feed about 10 minutes before). Ashtyn was babbling something about how she had accidentally gotten the tubing caught on the seat of the car and the tube got pulled out. (I restrained myself from getting upset with her for disobeying me since she was already freaking out anyway.)
It only took a few seconds for Raya's clothes to be soaked with whatever had been in her stomach. I didn't want my car to smell like that so I put her on Cole's jacket on the picnic table, took off her wet pants, and used them to soak up what was coming out while I dug around in my bag of medical supplies that was in my purse trying to find the right syringe. I knew it wasn't there though. It was in a plastic baggie with a spare G tube pinned to the bulletin board in the kitchen in case there's ever an emergency while she's at home with the respite provider. Since none of the other syringes I had were the right size to deflate & reinflate the balloon, I yelled to the kids to get in the car and tried in vain to tape gauze over the hole to keep the mess to a minimum on the way home. (now that I've done a whole big post about all the different types of medical tape we've ever used, the only kind I had was one that is useless when it gets wet). I'm sure it was a memorable trip to the bus stop for all the kids' friends and their parents.
The best I could do was to pick her up with Cole's jacket wrapped around her with the sleeves tied around the front of her to hold her pants against the hole which was still oozing like crazy. I strapped everybody in and crossed my fingers that the tube would go back in when we got home.
Since we had such a lovely view of the hole (aka stoma, if you're being technical), I decided to take a picture in between attempts to get the tube in:
And yep, there were multiple attempts. I tried once and the tube just bent over like I was trying to jam it into a solid surface. Suddenly the hole looked very tiny and the tube looked huge. Fortunately, when I took it a little bit at a time, it slowly went in and by some miracle Raya didn't move while I was doing it. She was kind of fascinated with the whole process but then it started hurting her a little and she started yelling at me and grabbing at it. I told her she'd better hold still because it would hurt a lot more if we had to go to the hospital to do it!
After that little ordeal, she started asking for sour cream again so I put her in the high chair with about 4T of sour cream. That turned out to be a mistake. Evidently she needs to have her sour cream 1T at a time or else she gets too distracted and paints her face, arms, hair, the table, and somehow the back of the chair that her high chair is strapped to. She ate about 2T of it and aside from a few pieces of dry cereal, that was it for the day. Nowhere near where she was yesterday, but that wasn't too surprising. She seems to have a pattern of having a really low calorie intake day right after a really good day.
We shall see what tomorrow brings. At least I can {almost} count on her eating a few bites of sour cream (since there will be Mexican food at our Thanksgiving) and maybe nibbling on a roll, and possibly plowing through any unattended plates and/or cups. I will be putting on my germophobia blinders and crossing my fingers that she has a good day. :)

Comments

  1. Brandis! This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your family story. This is Laura Kindall (Brad's older sister). Our 6 month old son Henry (Diagnosed w/ Down Syndrome) just got a G Tube on Monday. He has has an NG tube off and on since he was born - and I agree with you that while it is great there is a way to feed these little angels it is gross and a pain in the butt. Thank you for your post about adhesives and how you don't panic when the G tube gets pulled out. I am still kinda freaking out about the whole thing, but hopefully I will figure it out and get this little boy to grow. Thank you so much for speaking so candidly, I share much of your pain and struggles as well as the funny stuff too. Best of luck to you and your family. I will be a frequent visitor of your blog and look forward to seeing Raya's progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …