Skip to main content

What happens when a G tube balloon pops

It's funny how every time I have a paranoia about something with Raya, eventually it happens and usually turns out to be not as big of a deal as I expected it to be. (Add that to the list of lessons I've learned from having Raya. :) The day I brought her home from the hospital with the NG tube in her nose, I was SO afraid she would pull it out and I'd have to put it back in. I knew it was inevitable that I would have to put one in her nose at some point, but I dreaded it. Then it happened. I think she caught it on her little pinky finger and pulled it out. I wrapped her up like a little burrito, got my tape and stethoscope ready, and went for it. It really wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Which is good since I ended up doing it SOOOOOOOO many times.
Then she got her G tube and I was given the "what to do if it gets pulled out" speech before we left the hospital, which left me feeling paranoid. Thank heavens the non-balloon button she had first never got pulled out. The balloon button did once though. It got my adrenaline pumping a little but we got it back in and cleaned up the giant smelly mess and everything was fine.
Then she got the GJ tube and I was given an even scarier "what to do if the tube gets pulled out" speech since a GJ tube can only be placed in Interventional Radiology (IR) and they work normal business hours and probably don't enjoy being called in for emergencies on nights & weekends. I was extremely (and possibly overly) careful with her GJ tube. That little sucker was taped firmly in place so there was no chance of it twisting and we kept her under pretty tight supervision. Then I broke it. That time, it WAS as giant of a pain in the butt as I had expected it to be since we had to be squeezed in to IR's packed schedule for the day but it still wasn't anything to panic over. Just threw a wrench into my day and the radiologist's day and our nurse's day who had to call & get us in to have it replaced.

I don't remember when it occurred to me that it is possible for a G tube balloon to just spontaneously pop, but for a while now I have been slightly paranoid that it would pop at night, come out of her stomach, and her stoma would close before we discovered it in the morning. Luckily our first (and hopefully ONLY) balloon popping incident didn't happen that way though. :)
I put her in bed for a nap today and a couple hours later when I got her out, there was a big wet spot in her bed. I sniffed her breath to see if it smelled like formula puke/spit-up and it kind of did but not really. Then I smelled the sheet to see if it smelled like formula puke or just her sweaty little head. It smelled like neither but it definitely had a funky smell. Then I laid her down to change her diaper and what should flop out from under her little t-shirt but her entire G tube still hooked to the extension that was taped to her belly. Awesome. The balloon has a big huge hole in it. Not really even a hole, it just looks like the whole bottom half of it blew apart from the top half:
Once I saw it, the little voice in my head told me I should be panicking, but it takes a lot more than a popped G tube to make me panic these days so instead I told Raya to hold still and not move while I went to get the replacement tube that we just happened to have, thanks to our wonderful nurse. :) When I came back, I did start to worry a little because I realized that I had no idea how long her tube had been out. (For those of you who aren't familiar with G tubes & stomas, having a tube come out and not knowing about it is a bad thing because the stoma (hole) can start to close within 15-20 minutes kind of like if you leave your earrings out for too long. If the tube doesn't fit when you go to put it back in, it can require surgical intervention.)
Anyway, I crossed my fingers and started poking the tube into the hole. It didn't fit. Oh dear. I poked harder. Still didn't go in. I almost called the nurse (who hasn't gone into labor yet so she's still working, thank goodness) but then I decided to try one more time. I told Raya to hold still and pushed harder, and luckily on the third try it went in. I said, "Whew! There you go." Raya said, "Dee-dyoo, Mommy." I said, "You're welcome," inflated the new balloon, flushed water through it, and sent her off on her merry way. I think once the replacement tube comes, I'll use the popped one to make her a stuffed animal with a G tube. :)

Comments

  1. Yay Brandis!
    And maybe an awesome new home business? They have teddys with broken hearts...you could sew them with g-tubes. (I know, like you have the time, but sleep is sooo overrated). :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …