Skip to main content

Locked in

Thursday was the day I was going to get some craft/sewing projects done for upcoming birthdays & a little jump start on Christmas, but as is often the case when you have kids, my plans went out the window. :)
I had taken the 2 big kids to school and the little girls and I were going to play upstairs for a while after we cleaned up breakfast. Raya was in Ashtyn & Kaida's room and I was in my office, and Kaida (4 yrs old) decided she wanted to play the Nintendo DS. I told her she couldn't play it until later, so she started to throw a fit. Her fits are rather passive-aggressive in nature. Instead of lashing out at me, she does things she knows she's not supposed to. In this case, it was locking her bedroom door, coming out into the hallway, and closing it with Raya still inside. Oh, and by the way, the bedroom doors in this house have exterior doorknobs on them to which there are NO keys. Yeah. So Raya's locked in her big sisters' bedroom and I have no key to get her out. The hinges are inside the room so I can't take off the door, and there's no way to get the knob off from outside the room.
As soon as Raya realized she couldn't get out, she started crying. She was completely missing the fact that she was living every younger sibling's dream: locked in older siblings' room with free reign of ALLLLLL their stuff that they never let her touch, and NOBODY can do a single thing about it. :) I was actually rather amused by the situation at that point. I felt a little bad for her that she was upset but I knew she'd be fine so I wasn't worried. Sometimes I'm afraid that I've become a little too relaxed about things. :)
Since there was no way to get in the door, my next course of action was to get out the ladder and climb onto the roof to go through the window. That's what Donny had to do that last time this happened (nobody was in the room that time). The window never would latch all the way so I figured it would be quick & easy. I climbed to the top of the ladder and hoisted myself up over the little half wall only to realize that when Donny had climbed through the window the last time, he had fiddled with the window until he got it closed and locked both of the latches because it was way too easy to climb up and get in. Crap.
So now, not only can I not get in to rescue Raya through the window, but now I also have to climb back down off the roof onto the ladder, which ends about 5 feet below the roof. :) My neighbor across the street happened to come outside just as I was chatting on the phone with Donny about what to do next. I couldn't help but wonder what she must have been thinking when she saw me standing on my roof talking on my cell phone. Luckily, she didn't run away when I asked her to come over and hold the ladder so I didn't fall & break something important on my way down. She wished me luck and hopefully she realizes I'm not a crazy person.
Since plan A didn't work, it was time for plan B: remove the doorknob using whatever means necessary. I figured I'd be replacing the stupid thing anyway since it was obviously not the right kind of doorknob to have on a child's bedroom door, so who cares if it got a little bit destroyed in the process. And that it did. I managed to wedge a screwdriver in between the doorknob and the door and sever a few parts inside the doorknob, none of which made any progress towards unlocking the door or removing the doorknob. Since that didn't work, I took a few good whacks at the knob with the hammer. I hadn't been feeling particularly stressed but that would have been a great stress reliever if I had. :)
Then I decided to push on the door a little with my foot just to see if it had any give in it at all. The door cracked, which led to plan C: put a hole in the stupid door, stick my hand through, and unlock it. I figured what the heck, I'm going to have to fix the door now anyway so why not finish what I started. I knew that even if we ended up having to replace the door, it wouldn't be a big deal since it is obviously the most inexpensive, cheap, poor quality, ridiculously flimsy hollow-core door on the market.
I finished making the hole that my foot had started in the outside of the door and then used a hammer to pop a hole in the other side. I probably could have flicked it with my finger and made a hole in it. Once the hole was big enough, I stuck my hand through and opened the door. Raya was standing in the corner bawling still and there was snot running down her face since the whole ordeal had taken about 45 minutes. Bless her heart, she has been a lot more clingy the past couple weeks and I guess all the big sister treasures meant nothing to her when she didn't have anyone to share them with. :)
Now to fix this:

And here's what the other side of the door looks like:
The doorknob has obviously been removed since I completely trashed it, and once the giant hole has been patched (thank you, youtube), the new easily unlockable doorknob will be installed.

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …