Skip to main content

Keeping me on my toes

If I have bags under my eyes, it's probably (still) Raya's fault. :) Now that she is pretty much back to digesting like a normal human being (aside from her food's method of entry, of course) she seems to have an endless supply of energy. I also still think her busy-ness has something to do with her sensory issues, and now that her stomach is more heavily involved in digesting her food, her hypersensitive gut makes her fidgity.
Anyway, every time I turn around lately, Raya is on the kitchen table looking for abandoned food, under the kitchen table looking for food that's been dropped on the floor (or thrown by her at an earlier time) or climbing over the back of the couch or climbing up to the kitchen counter to get into whatever is on it or getting into things in my room or getting into things in the pantry or getting into things in her medical supply bench or getting into things... Are you catching the recurring theme here? Basically she's like a normal 21 month old (tomorrow). Only I don't remember the others being quite as busy as her. I at least don't remember any of them climbing like she does at this age.
Saturday afternoon, Ashtyn came in the kitchen and said that Raya was on the bathroom counter. This was about 5 minutes after she had come to tell me that Raya was getting into my makeup bag on the bathroom counter. I went in to check things out and here's what I found:

I think she was saying, "Hi Mommy!" and/or "Hair!" when I took this one.


And we now know how to turn the water on & off. Fabulous. :)



She is one silly little girl!

Today was really fun too. Kaida and I were having "Mommy and Kaida Cooking Class" this morning while the big kids were at school so Raya was sitting in her high chair (aka her favorite place in the whole wide world right now) having a "nah" (snack). I took a picture of Kaida cutting out biscuit dough and then Raya started saying, "ME!" to tell me she wanted her picture taken, so I took one:
Then Kaida & I finished up what we were doing so we could get ready to take Raya to therapy. About 15 or 20 minutes after I took the first picture, I turned around and she was holding her G tube in her hand and saying something, I forget what. When she first got her G tube I was paranoid about having it come out but it's kind of like getting a new car. Once you put the first dent in it, you can relax because you've already done it once. It was the same with the G tube. It got pulled out once, we put it back in & everyone survived so when it happened today, it wasn't a big deal. I don't understand why all the sudden she's messing with it though, she never messed with the GJ tube (thank goodness).
Anyway, since I had the camera right there I took a picture before I put the tube back in:
Someday, it really will look like another belly button. :) Honestly, the worst part was all the gross stuff that came out of her stomach when the tube wasn't there to hold it all in. Her shirt was soaked and she was covered with whatever had been in her stomach. Well, actually, the fact that she kept sticking her finger in the hole was kind of gross too.
I put it back in, no harm done, and we went on our merry way to OT. I do think something funky is going on with the balloon on her tube though. The water level fluctuates more than any other G tube (or GJ) that she's had. Plus, if you look in the picture, there's no water in the balloon at all and that was right after she had pulled it out, so there should have been water in it. I've checked the balloon though, and it still holds water so I'm not sure how it's leaking.
Oh, and the last couple of days her stomach has been doing this really creepy thing where it acts like it's trying to digest her tube. I tried to lift up the tube a little yesterday to put gauze under it and it was like there was someone on the inside of her stomach pulling it down so I couldn't get under it. SO wierd! She has a weight check tomorrow so I'm going to bring it up with the nurse. Busy little girl!!

Comments

  1. My stomach often tries to digest my tube. My tube usually sinks into my stomach, stays there for about 5-10 seconds & then releases & I think that it's going to pop right out of my stomach. When it first started doing that it hurt a lot. Now I'm use to it. So what is the cause...being hungry! Now that I have a tube my stomach doesn't growl out loud much, but it does move a lot and sucks in my tube as it's "growling" or moving around. As long as I eat at regular intervals, it usually doesn't have this problem. So maybe Raya is learning what it's like to be hungry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …