*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*


**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**

Sunday, August 28, 2011

And so it begins

It seems that the cold season (as in runny nose virus-y season) doesn't care if it's still 115 degrees outside. It's here anyway. I had hoped that Raya would somehow be tough enough to resist whatever germs she might pick up by going to nursery but 4 weeks in, she caught her first bug. It really hasn't been too bad, just a stuffy nose & post-nasal drip and a little bit of middle-of-the-night croupy coughing one night. And yes, I'm being presumptuous in assuming that's where she caught it, but over the last month, that's the biggest variable that's changed in her life. And by far the germiest. (is that a word??)

Well, regardless of whether or not she actually got sick from nursery, we have definitely started to think about whether or not nursery is a good idea for her this winter. Of course I've always kind of thought about that with all the kids. Who likes having sick kids, right? As always though, it's different with Raya. Just in the past couple of days that she's had a stuffy nose, she stopped eating her oatmeal & beans completely. For most of us who are motivated by hunger, eating while we have a stuffy nose is annoying because we can't breathe through our nose, but we still do it because we're hungry and we have to eat. Raya could care less. If eating becomes difficult or painful for her, she'll just quit. After all, she got by for 19 months without doing it, so what's a little more? And this is just a tiny little head cold. I hate to think what would happen if she caught something worse, but after the last 21 months I can imagine. Especially now that she doesn't have the GJ tube anymore and I can't just run the pedialyte into the J tube if she gets sick & throws up. Anyway, it has definitely been something to think about.

We had a 90 day review with her support coordinator on Friday and got our respite hours increased, and I'm thinking about having a respite provider come and stay with her while we go to church on Sundays during the real cold & flu season. We'll see. It's at least nice to have that as an option. Luckily she's feeling better this morning and she ate the cream of wheat I made her for breakfast. At 19 calories per tablespoon, she ate about 115 calories, which is always exciting. :) It wasn't quite as difficult to clean up as the oatmeal either. A change in diet may be in order. :)

Ashtyn has been sick this week too. She stayed home from school on Thursday with a fever (she had puked in the middle of the night all over the bathroom and neglected to tell me until I smelled it from the stairs that afternoon). Then on Friday she felt better & wanted to go to school but I had to go pick her up at 1:30 because she had a 102.2 fever, which has hung around most of the weekend. Maybe I'll just quarantine them all!

Raya got to have PT at the pool on Wednesday. She wasn't a fan. We went to the pool at 9:00 in the morning, and thanks to the ridiculously hot August we're having, it was already 100 degrees by 9:00 and the water felt AMAZING. Her PT got some good passive stretching in before Raya started to freak out, so that was good. She also got some good deep tissue massage in on her legs, which were really tight that day for some reason. After that, Raya was pretty much done. All she wanted to do was cling to me like a little baby monkey and cry. We worked with her a little bit on learning how to climb out of the pool and then once she found a pinecone to play with, she was distracted enough that we got a little bit more work in before the time was up. It was a fun little change of pace but I'm not sure if we'll be doing it again anytime soon. It wasn't the most productive PT session we've had. Girlfriend needs to learn to like the water. :) She LOVES the bathtub and shower and splash pad and puddles but she can't handle being in a big pool where she can't touch the bottom and someone has to actually be touching her. I've noticed that her tolerance for being held/touched is much lower when she's in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...