INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOTICE

*ALL information on this website is the intellectual property of the blog/website owner! Unauthorized use is prohibited. If you see something you'd like to repost or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

**Disclaimer**

**I am not a medical professional and the information on this blog is not to be construed as medical advice of any kind. ALWAYS consult with your child's doctor before making any kind of changes to his/her treatment, feeding schedule, etc.**


Friday, June 3, 2011

What we're doing about it

I just got a phone call from Nurse R. She said that Dr. Y (the radiologist) sent his report over and said that there was some possible thickening of the folds of the duodenum near the pylorus (i.e. small intestine where it connects to the stomach) that could be caused by an ulcer. (can't imagine why she'd have an ulcer with 500ml of excess bile coming out of her every day...) It's possible that there was already something there and having the GJ tube changed aggravated/inflamed it. She's going to need to start taking carafate (an ulcer med) every 6 hours on an empty stomach. Conveniently, we just happen to have a bottle of that from last fall when she was bleeding from her stomach. This time it will be a lot easier to give it to her on an empty stomach than it was before since she's not on 22 hour/day gastric feeds. :) Now I just have to decide what time I want to get up in the middle of the night to give it to her. :)
In addition to the carafate, Dr. S. wants to see Raya on Monday and wants to do an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, my favorite GI-related big fancy medical word :) next week. The upper GI showed that there is a problem but it doesn't show detail like they're able to see in an endoscopy. I might beg them to give her a little versed before she wakes up from the anesthesia so she won't be like a little wild animal this time. She was pretty crazy last time. (see here)
I jinxed myself about 10 minutes before the nurse called by looking at the calendar and thinking to myself, "Wow, we only have 3 appointments on the calendar next week!" Why do I keep doing that?!? :) It's okay though, I don't mind. Now I feel funny if we DON'T have 3 or 4 appointments in a week and I completely lose track of what day it is if we don't have the regular appointments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...