Skip to main content

Raya's first day of nursery

Raya turned the magical age of 18 months old last week. Why is 18 months a magical age, you ask? Because that's when kids can start going to the nursery class at church. :) When the other 3 kids hit about 12-14 months, I started counting down the days until they could go to nursery. 3 hours of church feels like forEVER when you're trying to keep a squirmy toddler from running all over the place, and you can forget trying to hear anything that's being taught in the lessons.
It's been a little different with Raya though. I've been counting down the days with her too but there's been some dread in the countdown. I know part of it is just me wanting to stay in control of as much of her life as I can and I need to get over that. Part of it is my germophobia. I know they try to keep things clean & sanitary but nursery is like a little petrie dish. Raya has somehow managed to stay very healthy through the winter & spring and I don't think it's any coincidence that her vomiting has decreased and her desire to let food into her mouth has increased during that time frame. So yeah, I'm hesitant to send her in and risk her getting sick. Especially because with her extreme feeding & oral delays, she's still putting EVERYTHING in her mouth.
Then there's the whole feeding tube issue. I'm trying to decide how to handle her feeding schedule on Sundays. Do I just change things up one day a week so she doesn't need anything during nursery or do I leave things how they are and just interrupt every so often to give her water or formula? There's also the risk of her tube getting caught or pulled on, which is probably another irrational paranoia but still a valid concern, especially because she's never really been in close quarters in a room full of kids her age & older.
When it came down to it though, none of those ended up being the reasons Raya didn't go to nursery today. Did I mention that when we moved and started going to our new ward, our church time changed to 11:30-2:30? TERRIBLE time to have church. So instead of taking Raya to her first day of nursery, I did the customary 45 minutes of wrestling with her in the hallways while she cries & squirms and then finally falls asleep during the last 5 minutes of Sacrament meeting. She was out cold and there was no way I was going to wake her up! I told the nursery leader (who conveniently happens to be an RN) that if she woke up, I would bring her in. She sat on my lap like this:
until 20 minutes before church was over. After that, she sat calmly on my lap and played with her syringe and bottle of water and made cute faces and chatted with the lady sitting next to us, so I didn't take her to nursery. Maybe next week, maybe not. :) As long as she'll snuggle on my lap and sleep through 2 hours of church, I see no need to rock the boat. :)

Comments

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …