Skip to main content

Reflux, PT and a bowlegged baby

Despite the increase in her reflux symptoms this week that have made her an uncomfortable girl, Raya had a GREAT session with her PT this morning. Possibly the best one she's had yet. She was 95% cooperative and since she was doing so well and being such a willing participant, we didn't make her do anything she doesn't like to do, like walk down the sidewalk that makes her freak out. She played with the ball popper & while she was doing that, she let her PT make her stand on one leg while she massaged the other one, stretch & massage her neck, and whatever else she needed to do with her. The real shocker was that when we opened the baby gate to let Raya practice going up & down the stairs, she wasn't interested. Her PT carried her up to the landing and she started kicking & screaming so she sat her down on the top stair and Raya did a pretty good job scooting down.
I was pretty shocked at how well she did and so was her PT. She was happy & cooperative the whole time. She's had such a rough week with her reflux and has even thrown up a couple times this week, so I was expecting crabbiness from her today. She hasn't been sleeping well and hasn't taken more than a 45 minute nap the whole week. When she does go to sleep for a nap, she wakes up 20 or 30 minutes later screaming from reflux and then she won't go back to sleep. It makes for long days, let me tell you. She's also been waking up late at night the same way. There has been a little trade-off though. She's been so much less resistant to being held and, dare I say, cuddled. The girl who was never welcome in our bed because of her mad vomiting skillz, and then never WANTED to be in our bed spent an hour on Monday morning like this:

I feel like her belly is always hanging out but sometimes when she actually gets comfortable & goes to sleep, I don't DARE move her shirt or touch her! :) I was kind of laughing about the fact that she's 17 months old and I can count on one hand or less the number of times she's slept in our bed.

I've had some growing concern lately about her increasing bowleggedness. I first noticed it about a month ago and it has gotten progressively worse since then. I brought it up with her PT a few weeks ago and at first we thought that maybe it was just part of her wide stance that babies have when they're learning to walk. Then it got to where she had pulled her feet in closer together but her knees had stayed wider apart and she looked really bowlegged. It seems to be coming from her feet. When she walks, it looks like her big toe flexes really hard like her feet are trying to grip the ground, so she looks really bowlegged when she walks. Sometimes when I see her walk it makes me cringe a little. Which brings me to a side note, does anybody else ever look at their child and wonder if other kids are going to be mean to her about the things that are different about her? I think that's why I cringe when I see her walk like that or cock her head to the side. My mind starts wandering and I wonder how old she'll be when her peers start to notice that there's things about her that are "different" and pick on her, which is silly because I feel like most of her issues will be resolved before she ever gets to that point, but I still think about it.
AAAAANyway, so today we took a little video clip of Raya walking so that her PT can analyze it a little more and show it to some of her colleagues to get some ideas on what to do with her. The video was taken after her PT had massaged her feet and stretched her a little so she's walking a LOT better in it than she normally does. And she walks really fast. :) Here it is:

So there you have it. PS my favorite part of the video is how she uses her tongue to help hold on to the ball I handed her. :)

In other news, Raya's 6th tooth finally popped through. (and no, that's not the reason she's been waking up. It really is the reflux that's the problem.:) Also, I bought some materials to make Raya some more sensory stuff. Technical term. :) I'm planning on making her a weighted blanket and possibly more weighted stuffed animals of different sizes & weights. We don't have any appointments tomorrow so I plan on getting started with it tomorrow. And hopefully my little girls will cooperate. Should be fun. :)

Comments

  1. I do, but I have a kid with things that are different. I don't worry about the heart, unless it holds him back from participating in things. At this point the answer is no, it won't, but only time will tell. I do worry about the foot. He could wear these braces at night until he's four. What does that mean for camping trips with friends? Will the kids of the other rafters notice or is it a non-issue because they go on when he goes to bed? Again, time will tell, but I've already decided that maybe some special occasions call for no bracing. His club foot might be a 1/2 size smaller than his 'good' foot. His left calf (club foot side) will be smaller than his right calf. Will it be noticable? Will other's notice? Will he work out like mad when he's 16 to try and bulk up the left calf to no avail? Time will tell, but yes, I wonder, and worry a little too. If only everyone could see just who perfect (if now quirky) they are. I want to live in that utopia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …